USB outlet

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I would like to swap out the cigarette lighter outlets on my 2011 275 Freedom with USB outlets. Has anyone done this? If so any info on the best one to buy and how the install went would be great.
Thanks in advance

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Very easy and straight forward install. There is no "best one". But they are easy enough to find as they are very common. A company like Blue Sea is an excellent company, though. Google will be your friend if you want to buy online - otherwise, any marine store can get this for you.

Or, just get an adapter that plugs into the 12V outlet. Again, Google.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Losing the ability to power a handheld light for spotting navigation markers, water hazards and emergency rescue situations would make me hesitant to eliminate the good ol' cigarette lighter socket. For the times you need to charge something onboard why not just keep a couple of these handy?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ulti...xl-12v-dual-usb-charger--13845714?recordNum=7

Or install separate USB sockets and leave your OEM sockets in service.

Reactions: suzukidave

suzukidave

Reaction score
Losing the ability to power a handheld light for spotting navigation markers, water hazards and emergency rescue situations would make me hesitant to eliminate the good ol' cigarette lighter socket. For the times you need to charge something onboard why not just keep a couple of these handy?

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/ulti...xl-12v-dual-usb-charger--13845714?recordNum=7

Or install separate USB sockets and leave your OEM sockets in service.

this. usb connectors are also going to corrode in salt air. just get a couple of plug in adaptors and use and replace them as needed.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
this. usb connectors are also going to corrode in salt air. just get a couple of plug in adaptors and use and replace them as needed.

I whole heartily agree with the corrosion factor of the USB connectors. I don't think the adapter should ever be left in the socket either but removed at the end of the trip. I believe if left in they will contaminate the sockets.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Make you sure get one that puts out high amps for phones or iPads that support or need 'fast charging'. Added one on the inner shell of my helm compartment on the 330 and use if to keep my iPad charged (iNavX for extra navigation).

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I mounted a switched dual usb/ 12v. Easy. cheap one's all over amazon and eBay
5CDlRGfl.jpg