USCG Throw Ring - Good Info

PA228G

Reaction score
I know not all boats are required to carry a throw ring, but they can be handy even if you (hopefully) never need them for their intended purpose. Turns out they are just the ticket for holding a Home Depot 5 gal bucket full of parts and tools floating handy should you ever need to change a prop in the water. At least that's what I've heard ...

PA228G

Reaction score
Spun the old OEM prop hub and couldn't pull the boat to change it. Loading the tools and parts into the bucket saved plenty of ins and outs of the water - the crew of me, myself and I wasn't very helpful.

No big deal - just thought I had a good idea for once and would pass it on - with some humor attached Didn't mean to offend anyone.

DaleH

Reaction score
Another tip for changing a prop in the water, if one needs too. I keep an extra large green trash bag on hand, put it in inside a huge fishing net, and put it down and up over the OB lower unit ... if we dropped anything ... we didn't lose it. I now have some of those lanyards you can snap or velcro to tools so they have a leash.

Those ring buoys also make a nice cushioned seat too, when one needs to convert a 5-gallon bucket into a head :sorry , sorry for the visual ;) ! But seriously, I grew up on old wooden boats and that was the order of the day for boats without heads. I recall when my Dad was one of the first to install a real porcelin head into one of his boats, his was the envy of the rest of the boatyard for years.