Use 3 of 4 existing batteries for a Trolling motor?

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wondering if anyone has tried using three of the four batteries wired in series before? Aside from the risk of drawing them down in theory this should work. I have 4 batteries on my Marlin there is a left and a right bank with a selector on each side for 1, 2 or Both. Looks like the house is also wired on the starboard bank so my thinking is I could use the two on Port bank with the second batt on the Starbord side in series to get 36v. 12v should still flow as designed and the existing 4 bank charger will charge when on shore power.
Thoughts? A lot cheaper and lighter than buying 3 more w another charger.
Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don’t think that will be simple. Be real careful. Taking a parallel bank and turning it into a series bank will require additional switching as well taking a parallel battery out of a parallel bank and adding it to your other two series. Lots of opportunity to fry things. Remember to get a series circuit you must connect a negative terminal to a positive terminal on a different battery to give 24V then the negative terminal to the positive terminal on your third battery to get 36V. Your current set up has a common ground to all batteries and only the positive terminals are switched. On my scout I use one of my two starting batteries in series with a completely separate battery to provide 24 V. Be very careful and draw out a circuit diagram before you begin. I would not attempt it, too much trouble!

seasick

Reaction score
Kaboom!
Your current batteries share a common ground. That is used for connected 12v loads and charging. Connecting as you suggest may cause a dead short or possible the application of 24v to 12v loads.

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yikes th
Kaboom!
Your current batteries share a common ground. That is used for connected 12v loads and charging. Connecting as you suggest may cause a dead short or possible the application of 24v to 12v loads.
Yikes thanks for that tip this 04 boat already has enough elec gremlins in it I've been chasing. Rethinking a Lithium 36v solution that's lighter and takes up less space albeit 3x's the $$

seasick

Reaction score
Separate battery pack/bank with separate charger is probably the best approach. I don't know how your boat sits right now but give some thought about weight of battery pack and location in the hull.
Let us know how things turn out.