Use of fixed vs monocular Thermal Camera

quantase

Reaction score
Hello. I'm thinking of getting a thermal camera for the occasional night return back to the harbor/ docks. I have a 2022 GW 235 freedom. I was thinking of getting a FLIR monocular (like the PTM 366), which I could not only use while boating, but also during other activities on land while not spending a true fortune. I do have radar as well. I have looked at the specs of fixed thermals (i.e. FLIR MD324 or the M364). Considering some of the specs, refresh rate and FOV, the monoculars may be a little better, dependent on what you are comparing. The fixed thermals look okay, but I like the versatility of a monocular. Any experience in using a monocular when cruising at night vs a fixed? How durable and reliable are the monoculars? Any other brands I should seriously think about? I would plan to project the monocular onto an iPad for a little ease in visuals while cruising at night. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mg1826

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i wouldnt want to fiddle with a handheld monocular while running a boat.

if i were to install a camera for night use, i would do ultra low light over FLIR. sionx or black oak

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have been looking at the Sionx. You can link it to a tablet so you don't have to hold it all the time. Hoping one day it would link to the Garmin 8616.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I have been looking at the Sionx. You can link it to a tablet so you don't have to hold it all the time. Hoping one day it would link to the Garmin 8616.
it isnt linkable with the 8616? do you know why that is? i have seen it linked to MFDs before, i assumed it worked with all of them

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
No sure why, but it seem strange that it would link with a tablet and that table can link with the Garmin through active captain. The 8616 does have a Wi-Fi built in so I would think that it should link but not sure. I have never called Sionyx to find out .

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
i wouldnt want to fiddle with a handheld monocular while running a boat.
Exactly that is what I wanted to write.
In any condition I would like to have a FLIR I would prefer to check it with my eyes and have my hands on steering wheel and throttle/s.
Thats why I would only invest in a FLIR system if I can see it on a display, but never a mono/binocular thingy what occupies my hand.

I am thinking about Radar, mainly for same reason, dumb boaters fishing just outside of the jetty without or with shitty light.
Flir would be better, but a good system (much) more expensive and I want it also to see bigger ships around me as I fish where the cargo ships and ferries pass along the shore of my island.
Ferries are easy to see, but some freighters not and their top lights can be confused with the lights on land.

Chris

quantase

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Wondering has anyone fixed a monocular on a mount on top or on one of the rails then used the WIFI to connect to a iPad. That way you can keep your hands on the wheel and still view out. Also, you can detach when you want to use the monocular for land purposes (i.e. hunting, finding leprechauns in the fields at night ;-) etc.).

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Yes, Ram mounts make one that fits the handheld and clamps to the t-top bars. They also make mounts for the tablets.