Used 2005 Yamaha 225

dadsgirl

Reaction score
I found a used Yamaha 225 with all the controls and cables to replace the tired old Johnson 200 on my 1988 Seafarer. The Yamaha has 785 hours on it and is listed as a left hand rotation engine. Could you please tell me some of the issues of this engine I can look for?

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The most infamous is the exhaust corrosion issue from the early to mid 2000's. Definitely check that out. I've got a pair of 2003 225's and the exhaust work was done by a prior owner. They have been solid for the two years I've run them.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I did a little research on these engines today and found that most exhaust housing failures on these engines were on year 2000 thru 2005 and occur in the 500 to 750 hour range.

Reactions: Pighunter

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Check the t-stat housings too. They corroded out as well.

Another overlooked place of corrosion.

I have heard of exhaust corrosion in these engines up until 2008. Hours will be random and somewhat dependent on location. Boats in the north are only used half the year compared to those in the south. On all unknown used f225's I would factor in replacing the midsection's. Otherwise these engines have proven to be very reliable and for the most part most things can be fixed. I know first hand of several f225's that went well over 2000 hrs.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm over 1300 hrs on my 2004 F225 and doing well. I had the exhaust changed when I bought the boat in 2017, it wasn't bad, but in time would have been. I hope to repower this coming fall of 2021 and will sell all rigging, gauges, controls and prop as a package. Would of repowered this year but chose to take care of some things before I did.

As others have said, if an unknown motor, figure the exhaust replacement in your negotiations.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming you can get by the exhaust issue and the t-stats, no reason not to consider it because it's a LH (counter) engine. Just have to prop it with a counter rotating prop.

Reactions: JJMag

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 2002 f225 corrosion was starting to take hold at 900 ish hours. Make sure you have it scoped prior to buying.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in the process of looking for an early 2000's vintage GW 228 Seafarer and notice that a lot of them came with a similar vintage Yamaha between 225's and 250's. What does it cost to have the corrosion issues fixed? I can't imagine that they'd be covered by any sort of warranty being 15+ years old? Is it something that someone could do themselves or do they need a shop to fix them? Thanks

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in the process of looking for an early 2000's vintage GW 228 Seafarer and notice that a lot of them came with a similar vintage Yamaha between 225's and 250's. What does it cost to have the corrosion issues fixed? I can't imagine that they'd be covered by any sort of warranty being 15+ years old? Is it something that someone could do themselves or do they need a shop to fix them? Thanks

cost me $2700 that was 2k labor and $700 for the parts, I did my oil pump while the power head was off. I know some have paid more.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
cost me $2700 that was 2k labor and $700 for the parts, I did my oil pump while the power head was off. I know some have paid more.

Not too bad of a price, I figured it would've been more. Definitely a lot less money than re-powering the boat. Thanks for the reply!

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 225 is a solid engine if maintained and serviced well. I have 370 hours on two 2005s. On scoping the exhaust last year there was some minor corrosion bumps that made me decide to have the tuners on both replaced. One exhaust tuner looked normal and the other was so corroded it was pitted through. Burleson marine said that had I taken one more offshore trip the tuner would have failed and flooded the engine. Mr. Burleson said he has had tuners fail with 250 hours others are not affected at all... not worth risking the coin toss.