Used freedom 235

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hello,

Haven’t been here much as I sold my Grady a year and a half ago. I found a 2018 Freedom 235 with 90 hours on the engine.

Would you get a survey done on it. The boat is being sold by the marina who sold, serviced and stored it.

Thanks.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 6A1F27D1-C905-42E7-BC51-91EFDADE4BB1.jpeg
    6A1F27D1-C905-42E7-BC51-91EFDADE4BB1.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 40

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I generally always recommend someone getting a survey done on a boat, even if it's only a few years old, and especially because why are they only selling it after a couple of years? I'm assuming the boat is the one on Boat Trader for $133k? Of which if it is, I think paying an extra $500-1k would be worth it for a surveyor to inspect it, just to be on the safe side. If that is in fact the boat/company that you're referring to, it seems like they have mostly all positive reviews, which is a bit more reassuring. That being said, again if I was spending $133k on a boat then I wouldn't skimp the $500-1k on an inspection.

Reactions: ilmmct

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat is not on boat trader yet and it is not yet for sale. The marina is doing the 100 hours service and cleaning it up. But the one on BT looks nicer than the one I was looking at.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Would I? No way. Should you? If you have to ask, you know the answer.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Because the boat is almost new, I would likely not get a full blown survey but would have a Yamaha mechanic do a YDIS printout and possibly a leakdown test. Some advocate having a survey done on a new boat right from the factory. I am not one of them. Nor do i keep my lawyers number on speed dial. I trust my own instincts and observation abilities.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If the location of the boat is far from you (looks like FL from the palm trees), perhaps a member of this forum would crawl around the boat for you and report findings. I’d still recommend a survey, compression test etc before you formalize the purchase. But this “check-out” by a GG member might save you a flight/long-drive or $500 in survey dollars if the boat and trailer don’t pass a preliminary smell test

In the forum of my prior boat model (before owning my Grady), members did this all the time. There were enough members that loved boats and liked helping people out.

If the boat is near Wilmington, NC I’d lend you a hand and crawl around it for you.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks all I appreciate the feedback. The marina is having it detailed in a week or so. Once they do that I am going to look at it again. I’ll determine what to do after that.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If the location of the boat is far from you (looks like FL from the palm trees), perhaps a member of this forum would crawl around the boat for you and report findings. I’d still recommend a survey, compression test etc before you formalize the purchase. But this “check-out” by a GG member might save you a flight/long-drive or $500 in survey dollars if the boat and trailer don’t pass a preliminary smell test

In the forum of my prior boat model (before owning my Grady), members did this all the time. There were enough members that loved boats and liked helping people out.

If the boat is near Wilmington, NC I’d lend you a hand and crawl around it for you.
I'm assuming most likely Florida as well, and I think the numbers on the side near the bow say "FL" on it. And I agree, I live in the Seattle area, flew out to look at a 228 Seafarer in Maryland and asked if any members on here lived in the area that might want to look at the boat with me. Italian Angler messaged me and said he lived nearby where the boat was being sold at, I bought him lunch for him taking time to come look at the boat with me, we looked it over and I bought it. I thanked him very much for his time and that was that. The next day I did a sea trial run of which the boat ran great, and then rented a U-Haul truck and drove her back across the country 3,009 miles from Maryland to Seattle.

Reactions: ilmmct

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks all I appreciate the feedback. The marina is having it detailed in a week or so. Once they do that I am going to look at it again. I’ll determine what to do after that.
Not sure where you're located at, and I'm always one to advocate putting your approximate location in your signature or profile, but this one looks like it just popped up on Boat Trader recently in NY for $135k. Doesn't mention anything about a trailer, so I'm assuming that it doesn't come with one, but the motor only has 203 hours on it. Depending on where you live, it might be a better deal than potentially traveling to look at the other boat.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Get a survey.

1. You never know what may have happened to the boat.
2. It is good to have as proof of condition for insurance (make sure the surveyor has the proper credentials).
3. If the surveyor finds even one thing wrong, you can negotiate it into the price.
4. Piece of mind.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would. Money well spent even if the survey comes up 100% clean.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Get a survey.

1. You never know what may have happened to the boat.
2. It is good to have as proof of condition for insurance (make sure the surveyor has the proper credentials).
3. If the surveyor finds even one thing wrong, you can negotiate it into the price.
4. Piece of mind.
Agreed... especially with point #1. I always find it a bit odd when the current owner of the boat, who I'm assuming is the original owner given the year of the boat, only owns the boat for a couple of years and then goes to sell it. Now this could obviously be for any number of reasons from being a financial thing and the owner needing the money, to not using the boat or wanting to upgrade to something bigger. The boat as well as the motor should also still be under a warranty, which hopefully means no damage or serious repair work was/is needed. That being said, something pretty drastic must've happened somewhere for the original owner to buy I'm assuming a brand new boat, only own it for a couple of years and then sell it for I'm guessing a pretty considerable loss. I'm assuming that they didn't dislike the boat itself, the ride quality, performance, fit and finish or anything else along those lines as they probably test drove it at least once before purchasing. Per Boat Trader, a brand new 2022 GW 235 Freedom is right around $172k and if this one is priced anywhere near the other 2018 on Boat Trader at $135k, that's almost a loss of $40k in just a couple of years.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
" Per Boat Trader, a brand new 2022 GW 235 Freedom is right around $172k and if this one is priced anywhere near the other 2018 on Boat Trader at $135k, that's almost a loss of $40k in just a couple of years."

Not exactly right.. IMO

A used 2021 GW Canyon 306 is approx. 50% more than what I paid for my 2018 GW Canyon 306 in Feb/March of 2021. 2021 and 2022 brought HUGE price increases.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to move up/down after three years (lots of people with $$$ to burn).

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
" Per Boat Trader, a brand new 2022 GW 235 Freedom is right around $172k and if this one is priced anywhere near the other 2018 on Boat Trader at $135k, that's almost a loss of $40k in just a couple of years."

Not exactly right.. IMO

A used 2021 GW Canyon 306 is approx. 50% more than what I paid for my 2018 GW Canyon 306 in Feb/March of 2021. 2021 and 2022 brought HUGE price increases.

Also, it is not uncommon for people to move up/down after three years (lots of people with $$$ to burn).
You're entitled to your opinion... although your opinion is wrong per what is showing on Boat Trader, Boats.com and YachtWorld.com. On Boat Trader there are 39 Grady White 235 Freedom's for sale, of which 29 out of the 35 of those are brand new 2022 models. Of those 29 that are 2022 models, all but 2 of them say "Request a Price" for the asking price. Of the 2 that actually do have an asking price on them, the first and cheaper of the two boats is from a dealer out of Portland, ME for $171,091 and the second is from a dealer out of Walworth, WI for $172,005. The other two websites have almost the exact same information as well as inventory, yet Boats.com seems to be a bit more current on boats that have pending offers and they show the from Wisconsin as having a "Sale Pending" flag next to it. Now obviously there are only two brand new 2022 boats to go off of here, but considering that one is from a dealer in the midwest, aka Wisconsin, and the other is from a dealer in the northeast, aka Maine, as well as both of those dealers being within $1k of each other... I'd say that's a pretty realistic figure and more than just a ballpark number to go off of. Obviously all dealers are going to be slightly different and not exactly the same, but I'd say that low $170k figure is going to be fairly accurate. After that, there are a couple of used 2021's listed in the mid $155k - mid $165k range, of which two out of the three of those are being sold by a private party.

Also, are you seriously trying to compare the price increases on a 30' center console boat compared to that of a 23' dual console boat? I'm not sure why we're for some reason now comparing a 306 Canyon along with a 235 Freedom when the subject of the thread and topic at hand is about a 235 Freedom? With inflation being what it's been over the past 12+ months and the prices of everything going through the roof, it's going to mean that things are priced higher than they were before. And because of that, boats are going to be priced higher as well. I'm not sure what your argument is though about the the 306 Canyon though? Are you trying to say that because a 306 Canyon went up 50% more than what you paid for it, that it means it'll do the exact same thing with a 235 Freedom?

Last edited:

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I was simply saying that because of the large increases in prices in the past two years, I wouldn't be so quick to say that the one listed for $135 on BT is down $40k from new. I'd be willing to bet that $135 is close to what the boat sold for new in 2018.

No, I wasn't coming the 306 to the 235. I was simply using the price increase on the 306 as an illustration.

This is my last post on this, as I am not interested in an ongoing debate.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was simply saying that because of the large increases in prices in the past two years, I wouldn't be so quick to say that the one listed for $135 on BT is down $40k from new. I'd be willing to bet that $135 is close to what the boat sold for new in 2018.

No, I wasn't coming the 306 to the 235. I was simply using the price increase on the 306 as an illustration.

This is my last post on this, as I am not interested in an ongoing debate.
It's not a debate, just having a conversation here. When looking at an online inflation calculator of values from 2018 until 2022, if you put in the price of $135k in 2018 then it equates to roughly $150k in terms of today's dollars. Which means it's already gone up $15k in terms of just inflation, but if the MSRP is even somewhat close to $172k, then we're still short $22k. Which to me just doesn't add up. Conversely, if you put $135k into the calculator for today's value in 2022, then it equates to roughly $121.5k in terms of 2018's dollar value. I've been looking at prices of Grady White boats for years, especially 228 Seafarers, of which even a few years ago I never saw a brand new one sell for $121.5k, unless it was maybe a special or boat show pricing or something similar. And a 235 Freedom is going to sell for probably $30k-40k more than a 228 Seafarer will sell for. I was in at my local GW dealer back in October winterizing my boat for the season and they had a 2020 Grady White 228 Seafarer for sale for $120k, which they sold I believe in November or December. While I was there, I talked to the sales rep and he said the owner bought it the year before for $140k. Which to me is crazy that the value of essentially a brand new boat would drop $20k in just over a year, and is one of the many reasons why I don't like buying new cars or new boats because typically they start losing quite a bit of value even after the first year or two.

Last edited:

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat brand new cost 160-165k in 18 according to the sales guy. It does have several Options like a porcelain toilet, power companion seat, Front side and back curtains and others.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The boat brand new cost 160-165k in 18 according to the sales guy. It does have several Options like a porcelain toilet, power companion seat, Front side and back curtains and others.
Thanks ;)