Used Grady White and advice on buying one

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is a repost of my question over @ Hull Truth. It was recommended that I post it here too.

I know I am probably opening a big can of worms and especially being newer to the forum. But I would like some comments and advice on buying a newer used Sailfish 282 say year 2005 or newer. Have my eye on an 06 right now with 340 hours. I have been boating all my life and now i am in the position to get my own. I have a lot of experiance running boats and the ride aspect but as for deep inspection my common sense is one thing but you all have some tricks and advice way above my pay grade.

First some back story. I was looking at Sailfish 2660 WAs and a few used that were 4 years old that I looked at really looked like 10 years old. They may have been rode hard and put away wet but the one I was set on buying got a deposit before I could make up my mind. I was looking at them because of the no wood construction a major fear beat into me from reading posts on this forum of wood in a boat. I should note i am also looking at Pursuits and Southports, may find some others that I like. I am targeting a WA because I have smaller children and it seems to be a better fit for them. Also hoping to extend the season with the limited enclosure.

I have been reading all these posts on poor construction and I can live with some of them but the wood really has me scared and the glass work. Especially the transom and stringer horror stories. Granted most of them are on 10 year and older boats but I do not want to be there in 5 years. So a few questions.

Grady does not mention in the 2006 catalog does not mention the construction of the transom is it plywood or something else?
They do mention the stringers are plywood and how concerned should I be with their glassing technique or lack of there?
I understand the wiring issues are they better now or do we just live with it and plan to have to replace it later? How hard is it to replace in the chases they give?
I am sure there is a ton more and let me know?

I would really love a good list of what to look for when going out the first time to see if it is a lemon or good GW? What hatches to look in and open and what to look for the out of the way stuff. I am pretty good at the superficial stuff.

I do plan to have a surveyor out but I don't want to waste his time and my money on junk. I would like to get a good boat for him to then give it the fine tooth expert opinion on. I have three solid survey guys from other post reviews up here in the northeast that folks recommended on the board. So I fell good when I can get to that stage it is just getting the confidence to get to that stage.

I appreciate all you help and please let's try not to just try to bash them looking for good advice on how to shake out the good from the bad. We can find good and bad in anyone and anything. Education is the real growth I need.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You don't indicate where you live, but perhaps a visit to the Grady-White factory in Greenville, NC would help you decide which way to go.

We have a 2002 Islander 270 that we purchased new March 2002. We have almost 1500 hours under power, literally thousands of miles under the keel, regularly fish 75nm offshore, and have been in some really nasty conditions. The boat is in great shape and remains strong.

Yes, there is plywood in the transom, and wooden stringers, but no water intrusion. There is also a massive aluminum bracing system that ties those main longitudinal stringers to the transom.

Most of the Gradys that I have read those 'horror stories' about are far older than most any other manufacturer's boats still in use. Far older than the ten years you note.

Good luck in your search.

Brian