Used GW PRICE GUIDELINES

Vtdochop

Reaction score
Hello all,
How can the novice boat owner get the most reasonable price guidelines for the purchase of a used boat. I am looking at a late model Tournament 225 ..the NADA guidelines seems to be much lower than the asking price. Assuming the boat is in great shape do I just add a % to the avg price and go back to the dealer with this ? Any suggestions would be helpful. Lets assume standard options and reasonable upgrades.
Thanks

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
The best way for you to gain experience as to what different boat models are worth is to learn the market and see what the boats are bringing. I suggest you look at this web site as well as THT, Boat Trader Online, Boat US and other venues to get a feel for what is out there that you're interested in and what the asking prices are. NADA books are not very realistic when you're talking about Grady Whites, Boston Whalers, Pursuits, or other high end boats in their respective classes. I recently sold a 2002 21 ft Boston Whaler Outrage for significantly more than NADA in the dead of winter. It really becomes a learning process and familiarity with the marketplace. Some one told me a long time ago that a boat is worth what a willing seller and an eager buyer can agree upon on. And I'm afraid you can't get that number from any book. Also remember that nice boats aren't cheap and cheap boats aren't nice. Good luck in your search and don't rush into anything!

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Even in this market I doubt you'll see a GW anywhere around NADA unless someone is really desperate to unloasd it.....This is particularly true in the NE where GW has a strong following and a solid new/used market. I've TRADED 10 GW's over the years and ALWAYS traded for well over NADA/Galves...RETAIL........I'm not saying there aren't deals to be had right now because there are.....But, the best advice is above....Look at what all of the asking prices are in your general area or on the net: Boattrader.com, Yachtworld.com, Marina's, etc.......That'll give you the best idea of what the market is doing. I know my dealer has a 2007 225 they just took a deposit on......I'm sure it was a good deal but I guarantee you it was nowhere near NADA......Also, when you claculate NADA don't forget to add the engine separately....

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was in the same boat( no pun intended). The only true way is what Capt Chris said, keep checking the used boat sites, you will eventually come up with an average. NADA values are not even close..don't bother. Check the Salty Dog, Ebay, Iboats, there are a ton of used sites. Pick up some used boat mags as well. Good Luck.

striped bass

Reaction score
You are in for some real fun. I recently bought a used 225G in South Carolina (I live in CT) for $2K over the BUC Used Price Guideline. The 225 did have all equipment come with it (Coast Guard safety gear, full custom boat cover, anchor, life vests, Bimini top, lines, magic tilt trailer, full tanks of gas -130 gallons, etc) which made the overpayment price more like $1K or less. On top of that I payed for a hauler to ship the boat to CT. "Why would anyone pay overmarket", you might ask. I had two 225S sold out from under me in New England neither of which were anywhere near in as good condition as my ultimate purchase. The boat has never had the bottom painted and got low use since it sat on its trailer most of the time due to an overworked owner. The boat surveyor and Yamaha engine mechanic gave strong positive reviews. This all happened after 6 months of looking. I have since discovered that the 225 Tournaments seem to go quickly so had I been looking for another model Grady White I might have had quicker success and a price closer to BUC and NADA. The Internet now has several 225 Tournaments 2005 or newer advertised but the prices are above BUC and NADA. I was a little slow in coming around because the used boat market in general is very depressed and getting worse except it seems for the Grady Whites and other makes mentioned above. It was a real adventure and learning experience.