Using Electrical Outlets While Undereway

JHT 76

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm new to power boats with electrical outlets. On my recently acquired 2009GW Express 330, I notice electrical outlets are powered off the DC panel. Is it possible/OK to use the cabin/cockpit electrical outlets while underway ? Couldn't fine anything in GW manual. Thanks for any insights. John

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Normal electrical outlets like you have in your house are not powered via DC voltage. You need AC voltage - either from shore power or a generator. The genny can be used underway. If you have an inverter installed, then that converts DC to AC power - but only for limited amounts of time and limited power draw items. Do you have an inverter?

Reactions: root

Fishtales

Reaction score
They only work stock if the generator is running and providing power to the panel or if you are running off shore power. As Dennis states, you could investigate an inverter if desired.

scott1949

Reaction score
Only time your outlets will work is when you are hooked to shore power or if you install an inverter as mentioned. On my boats panel, microwave, water heater, electrical outlets, battery charger all have circuit breakers identified on the panel and only work when attached to shore power. These are all AC type. Refrigerator works off of house batteries which is DC circuit.

sling

Reaction score
The 2009 330 has a generator so outlets should work when the generator is running

Fishtales

Reaction score
Surprised it was standard, but in that class it kinda makes sense.

JHT 76

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks all. Sort of a dumb question if I’d done more research. Appreciate your responses! JT