using eyes for boat lift - Tournament 19

Bluebill

Reaction score
I have a tournament 19 on a trailer, and want to use a local boat lift for launching into the water (no ramp available at this spot) because of the configuration of the trailer bottom bunkers that come past the transom, the lift will not be able to get the rear strap from the lift underneath the transom. My Question is, are the towing eyes in the transom strong enough to support the boat on a lift?...I suppose they could use the eyes to lift the boat above the bunkers, then slide the strap under, drop the boat, then re-attach to the strap...the guys at the launch are usually pretty cranky, so I don't want to rile them up unnecessarily, as they will have my boat up in the air with nothing underneath it for a short while...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you should go directly to gw with this question.

that said, i believe that the stern eyes and the addition of a bow lifting ring are intended for such use. i would definitely make sure your transom is in great shape, tho. ron

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Tournament 22 which probably had original stern eyes when I bought her in 2006. One of the eyes snapped the 3rd time I had it on a lift, luckily only about 18" above the trailer. Replaced both, inspected the lifting ring on the bow, and haven't looked back. I do, however, make sure to hose down the eyes after saltwater use ... :wink:

pilotart

Reaction score
'...One of the eyes snapped the 3rd time I had it on a lift ... '
Had you seen any signs of corrosion before failure?

1991 GW Spirit 175 on 5500# rated davits (each).

Hurricane Charley caught us by surprise and fortunately the Bow was raised about two feet above the stern (fifteen feet above MLW).

5 miles from Eye Wall and had 3 hours of 120 MPH Wind and Heavy Rains clocking from NE to SW

Bilge plug was in and the aft scuppers were plugged by bamboo leaves blown off by the wind and self bailing cockpit was filled to overflowing at the inner 'transom'.

Several thousand pounds of water and had to syphon out with garden hose after storm passed.

Only boat damage was VHF Antenna (down), which was crushed against gunnel by large falling Sea Grape limb.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Had you seen any signs of corrosion before failure?

No , the corrosian was hidden under the exterior nut of a double nut system for each arm of the ring (and it snapped below the nut) . The new rings have a flat plate spanning the arms on the exterior and provides the stopper for the interior nuts to torque against. Shafts were also sealed when installed... :wink: