Using the Gulfstream rear deck for sleeping

Roarque

Reaction score
This off-season I'm considering the addition of a canvas structure to cover the back deck of the Gulfstream so that we can sleep on an inflatable mattress while cruising. The cuddy cabin would become the dressing room, galley and toilet and the two of us would sleep in a tent-like "room" that could be easily erected with a roof ( maybe a bimini frame) from which we could hang canvas curtains and screening if the weather is perfect but the bugs are unwelcome guests.

Any pics out there of your ideas along this line. We already have a canvas awning that attaches to the hardtop and then snaps onto the stern behind the large built in storage fish box in front of the swim platform but we can't stand up inside this canvas and there is no way to use screening for cross breezes.

Greg and Karen

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Knew a guy who owned a slip at a marina. Rather than pay exorbitant hotel prices locally, he'd blow up a double mattress, then put a 4 man dome tent (actually only comfortable for 2) with rain fly over it. Mattress deflates and tent folds up small when not in use. Get really bold, and you can put the whole shebang on the beach ... :wink:

Roarque

Reaction score
Cur,

Interesting solution - just take a "pop open" tent that stows small and provides a deck based shelter for spontaneous overnighting on the hook. I like it - time for a trip to the camping store.

Thanks

Greg and Karen

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There has been guys here who have basically a bimini that folds up and creates a camper back fully unified design to bridge, same goes for any model The design is the same just dimensions change.
Custom made and not so cheap, never seen the tent but seems way more economical.

If you google and or find a canvas guy website, they have photos of their creations, you will see it. Can be made tall enough and squared off to stand up in. That's a very large cockpit back there!

Fishtales

Reaction score
In a pinch I used a white tarp with (2) long boat hooks. Attached to hardtop rod holders and used small binder spring clips on 2 sides. Worked for a night but you need a good pad and expect to be up with the sun.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I've done it. A good air mattress, sleeping bag and a wool cap is all you need. Sleep under the stars...
Having a tarp handy is a good idea if there is fog, light rain or a morning dew.

Last edited: