V-Berth Cushions -248Voyager

Reaction score
Any suggestions on additonal padding for the existing cushions when camping on the boat. Does anyone make a vberth air/foam mattress? My cushions are in good shape, just too old to be sleeping on 3 inch foam.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, I hear 'ya. Hips tend to go right through the foam to hard surface underneath. On my Grady, I was having the interior cushions re-done in vinyl so I had the shop use a medium-hard density foam in 4". I tried out a few different foams by actually laying on them. In a previous boat, whose cushions were in good shape, I added a memory foam mattress topper. I cut it (electric carving knife is the best tool for the job) to the exact dimensions of the v-berth, then took two top sheets and sewed them into a big "pillow case" to fit the mattress topper. I closed the "open" end with velcro. Wonderful night's sleep!!! In that boat, we left the berth setup as a bed all the time. But on the rare occasion we wanted to use the v-berth to sit, we could just roll the mattress topper up and secure it like a sleeping bag with string around it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
DennisG01 said:
I added a memory foam mattress topper. I cut it (electric carving knife is the best tool for the job) to the exact dimensions of the v-berth, then took two top sheets and sewed them into a big "pillow case" to fit the mattress topper. I closed the "open" end with velcro. Wonderful night's sleep!!! In that boat, we left the berth setup as a bed all the time. But on the rare occasion we wanted to use the v-berth to sit, we could just roll the mattress topper up and secure it like a sleeping bag with string around it.

X2!!!

We laid the cushions out on top of the memory foam and traced the outline with a Sharpie then cut it with the electric carving knife (Like Butta! Easy to keep a square edge!). Assure the owner of the knife that it does not harm it in any way. Because it's memory foam, it rolls up as tight and small as you want it to be.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
journeyman said:
Assure the owner of the knife that it does not harm it in any way.

I just did it when she wasn't home. :mrgreen: But, seriously, then next time I used it on a turkey, I didn't notice a difference.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've got some disc issues and the memory foam route wasn't quite enough cushion for me. So I went to a local mattress store with the Grady cushions in hand. They did the measuring and then made a quilted, 4" pillow-top mattress topper for me. Not the cheapest route at $300, but we overnight and vacation on it enough to be worth it for us.

Works well enough that I can skip the Grady cushions when we just go out for one night. I had to cut my own hard board v-berth inserts. I just traced the old cushion inserts and, after a bit of sanding, they fit.