V-Berth Question for 330 Owners

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, I had my admiral convinced that the 330 was the right boat for us, all things considered, and that the vberth on the 330 was much larger than the one on the Marlin and that most of her problems on getting in & out of the berth would be eliminated. We went to the NY boat show hoping to be able to compare the 330 and 300 side by side and for the first time that I can remember neither boat was there. So we went to look at a used 2007 330 last week. The owner had his own special bedding in it which was a good 4 or 5 inches higher than the front bolster. It raised the level high enough that he had to remove the rod holders from the ceiling to make enough clearance to get in & out of the berth. My question is: will that 4 or 5 inches make that big a difference?? Or do you still have to crawl in and out?? Have any of you tried to put pillows up against the port side wall(side of TV cabinet) and sit up to read? Can you do that?? She wants enough head room to be able to at least sit up. If I can't fix this problem the 330 will be out of the running :(
There is another 330 I plan to look at but it is over 100mi away and I'd hate to take the ride and find the same issue.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I placed a lamp on the starboard side and sit (or lay) across the berth (head to starboard) while reading and also while watching TV. I am 5'10" and the girlfriend is 5'6'. We both can lay across comfortably, and have fallen asleep and slept through the night that way. I do try to lay more bow to stern when I am crashing for the night. The v-berth is plenty roomy for us, the only negative is climbing in and out. No trouble with headroom. The newer (2008) has a step just in front of the berth to aid in climbing in and out. I usually use the dinette cushion to step up to the berth.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks George... that's helpfull. Can you actually sit straight up with your back against the starboard side or are you always partially laying down?? The former is what my wife is looking for.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Unless you're quite short, I do not think you can sit straight up and down in the vee berth. It's more of a lay back 130 degree scenario for most adults. You can of course do this in the dinnete then hit the rack when you're tired.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... and that was my concern. Guess I'll have some selling to do because my wife really likes reading in bed sitting up.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I would have to check if I can sit up at a 90 degree angle, as I have never tried it. Most people, when sitting up in bed are certainly in a more relaxed angle than 90 degrees. I am able to sit up comfortable and read, just as I do at home on the couch or in bed, with pillows behind me in a more relaxed angle. I actually find sitting up more straight to be uncomfortable. I would think that your wife sould be just fien with the amount of headroom, but don't know her torso height or most comfortable position. Get on one, hand her a book, and tell her to read while you check out the rest of the vessel. I guess it would be the only way to be sure...

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks George... the owner of the one we looked at is taking the memory foam & bedding out of the boat this week leaving just the factory cushions... so we plan to go back next week and do just as you suggested. She does sit up pretty straight... not sure if it is 90* though. The way she sits is a hip issue. I'll let you guys know how we make out. Thanks for the help.