Vacu Flush Duck Bill Replacement

Fishtales

Reaction score
Has anyone done this on a GW Marlin (preferred) or another model? I saw a video on this for a SeaRay that wasn't pleasant. Got me thinking, this must be in my future at some point.
Curious how may sets GW uses. My understanding is it could be one or several.

tx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, I'm familiar with this (on Sea Rays). Grady (like Sea Ray) doesn't have anything to do with the number of duckbills used - Dometic/Sealand is the manufacturer and they designed the system. Grady/Sea Ray simply plopped it in there. All Vacuflush systems use (4) duckbills (2 in, 2 out) at the vac pump. Replacement is about as easy as it gets - very straight forward. Access to it... that all depends on the boat. On some it's super easy, others not so much - THAT part, though, you can blame on Grady/Sea Ray/whomever! :) But then... manufacturers have it tough - trying to find room for a lot of systems in a small amount of space. The only thing you'd need to verify is whether or not your system uses 1-1/2" duckbills (basically, hose size) or 2". If I had to guess, I'd say 1-1/2" based on a relatively short run of the hoses from toilet to tank - but double check.

If the system is currently building vacuum quickly and the pump doesn't run on it's own (losing vacuum) every so often, I wouldn't worry about. They typically don't "just go bad" all of a sudden. Performance slowly drops.

FYI, where you might be getting confused on the number of duckbills used... Most Sea Rays use a similar type of pump system (to the Vac system) as a macerator - however the mac pump uses (2) duckbills (one in, one out).

Do a bunch of flushes with some water and treatment chemical first!

Fishtales

Reaction score
ok thanks. I'll check it out post splash unless I have issues.

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
My pump went bad and I had to replace it. The pump is accessible from the port side panel in the aft cabin of the 2004 Marlin. This pump is different from the macerator pump, if you have one. When replacing the pump I also did the duckbills on both sides of the pump. The job was not too bad and I am not a mechanically inclined person. I can follow schematics but that is about it. One key in the instructions is to flush a substantial amount of soapy water through the system before starting. If you go to do the job and have questions contact me. I have some pictures, schematics and instructions. I bought all parts online through AquaStar Distributors DBA Northeast Sanitation in Farmingdale, NY

HMBJack

Reaction score
Good feedback to you on this job from the above. A friend told me "There are worse jobs than that but I can't think of what it is right now" (lol)

One input, when I replaced my Duckbills, I recall a fitting or two in there that was reverse threads. So, don't force anything in there when loosening up the plastic pipe fittings as they could be reverse threads.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On my Sailfish I recently had to replace a joker valve. It is part of Jabsco electric flush. It prevents backflow into the head and was an easy fix. Not sure if this is the duck bill you are referring to ? They are available at West Marine.