Value of Swaping OB Engine

ORCA

Reaction score
Need the forums valuable experience and help with this decision.

I recently purchased a 1997 175 Spirit with a 1997 115 HP Yamaha. The engine ran fine on the check out ride and I believe is has low hours.

I have come to own a 2008 115HP E-Tec Outboard with less than 50 hours on engine and 4 years remaining on factory warranty.

Both engins are saltwater models and have never been in saltwater. Both Outboard engines weigh the same +/_ 6 lbs. The E-Tec is fuel injected, Yamaha is Carburated and both have oil injections systems.

With my limited experience with newer Evenrudes and no experience with Yamahas, I am asking the forum members for opinions on the VALUE of swaping these two engins. Just want the best relibility and fun factor.

Thanks in advance,

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you have gauges, harnesses, prop, and controls for the Evinrude? All those things will need to be swapped out. Do they both have the proper shaft length?

All things being considered, I wouldn't be opposed to hanging the e-tec on the back...it will make that boat a screamer....and - its still under warranty....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have the controls, go with the ETEC, but I'd still keep the yami for a back-up.

ORCA

Reaction score
Thanks Parthery,

for your reply and input. I believe I have everything for the switch out except the remote helm control for a Center Console and fuel management system. (may just need E-Tec programing) The E-tec is also a 25" shaft with digital instruments, wiring harnesses, SS Prop (17) which I may have to change to a different pitch but the prop is high polished chrome with not a scratch. The remote control that came with the engine was not for a center console.

thanks again.

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA

richie rich

Reaction score
the E-tech will also be a little quieter and a little better on gas over the carbed Yamy.....and the push button winterizing isn't bad either!

georgemjr

Reaction score
I know less than nothing about Etec, but would pose this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Are the benefits of the etec great enough to justify the added expense and hassle of the change? Keep it for a back up, or sell it and save the money in case you need an engine in the future, but why go through the trouble of changing if what you have works perfectly?

ORCA

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to my request for help.

Lots of good ideas and opinions. :D

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What kind of estimates are you getting for the labor to do the swap?

ORCA

Reaction score
Hi Parthery,

Thanks for your help.

No firm Quotes as yet. Two telephone quotes from certified Evenrude dealers are $500 and $750 but both need to see the Grady White before finalizing an estimated cost. One variable is whether or not I can swap the almost new Evenrude remote for an absolutely new Evenrude Center Console Helm remote.
Cost is a consideration, but also more importantly is making the best decision for product relibility and least hassle with taking it back and forth for repairs etc. That is why I was seeking helpful advise from the forum.

Thanks

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Not quite the same situation but I repowered my 96 – 272 Sailfish with a pair of 2010 225’s and could not be happier with them. Dealer is another issue so spend some time and ask lots of questions, but the Etec’s are great.

richie rich

Reaction score
If you have a practically a brand new engine thats fuel injected, uses half the oil, less or no smoke, gets better fuel mileage, is twice as quiet and winterizes at a press of a button, why would you leave that for a spare and continue using a carbuerated engine thats 13 years old and will become more unreliable as the days progress....if anything, that should be your spare.....this is a no brainer if the cost to install is within reason...

ORCA

Reaction score
HI RICH,

GOOD POINT. IT'S OFF TO THE EVENRUDE DEALER TO SWAP ENGINES.

I VALUE ALL THE GOOD ADVISE AND OPINIONS I RECEIVED FROM THE FORUM.

I'LL LET THE FORUM KNOW HOW IT ALL TURNS OUT. :D

THANKS,

IN GOD WE TRUST

ORCA