verado repower

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Dadsgirl, our 1988 Seafarer, is in need of a repower. Currently we have a 1996 Evinrude 200 on a Grady Drive bracket. Mercury makes the Verado in both a four cylinder and six cylinder version. Besides the cylinders what is the difference and would a four stroke perform the same as our old two stroke ?

no problem

Reaction score
The 6 cylinder verado's are too heavy. That's why you can find bargains on those. For me they are a little too complicated for an older fishing boat. The 200 4 cyl would perform well but for me it's just a little too fancy. My new 4 strokes have as much or more power than my old carbureted 2 strokes. Good luck!

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
I asked almost the exact same question of the customer service folks at Grady White, and this is what they emailed me back. They were really prompt with the reply, and you have to figure that they are the experts about Grady Whites. They are a tremendous resource.

Here’s a couple of important factors to consider when repowering an older(pre-2002) Grady-White with four stroke power are:
Engine weight and the maintenance of the boat. Older Grady-White boats were designed for the lighter two stroke engines available at the time. Before purchasing the heavier four stroke engines, we recommend simulating the additional weight of the four stroke engine(s), while the boat is at rest in the water, to see how the additional weight affects the waterline of the boat (check the scuppers location also while at rest with the water line).

For ex. if the engine weight difference is 90 lbs, you can place the additional weight on the grady bracket with the 200 HPDI still on the boat. This will simulate the way the boat will be at rest with the 4 stroke engines.

SwampGrizz

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The difference: 120 pounds, the 4 cyl is about 510 pounds. Either would be OK for power but down the road in 10 years who knows how the supercharger will be. Try the weight and see what you can add before you have problems.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 6 cyl will be more expensive and taller than the 4 cyl since it's an inline 6, even though they posiion the lower cylinder lower than typically done on outboards.

Verados use an interesting mount between motor and engine bracket to mitigate vibration, so check the range of motion vs. your Grady bracket if you desire to have gearbox out of water when in full tilt.

The big Verados make nice tripples and quads since they are in line 6s and narrow.

The supercharger ought to nearly equal hole shot of a modern 2 stroke.

If same 4 stroke HP as any 2 stroke, same top speed.

I bet the 6 cyl will hole shot faster than the 4 cyl, but are heavier, taller, and costlier in the 200 HP size.

Reaction score
I find this discussion so interesting as I am also in the need of a repower for my 94 228 Tourney. With the solid transon, swimbracket, and Grady engine bracket; I have had a hard time wrapping my brain around putting a 600lb motor back there and it NOT affecting the ride of the boat. My GW dealer said that since its the SV2 hull that it is exactly the same as the new ones, then I could hang a Yamaha 250 4stroke with no problems.

I too have considered the 250 or 225 Opti as its over 100lbs lighter. I am also 250 lbs and my fishing budiees are stout as well. This is a tough deciion an I appreciate all the insight. Your input is welcome.

Kevin

uncljohn

Reaction score
Search for threads with the word "scuppers" and "below the waterline". They are Gradys with 4-S power. Some don't see it as a problem. I found a leftover 2-S OX66 a few years back that I repowered w/. Saved $6K over buying the 4-S Yam. And my scuppers are still above the waterline.

Desperado

Reaction score
If you are looking to buy new, you can still buy the 200HPDI from Yamaha. Great motors all around ands should bolt right up.

Diver012

Reaction score
We have a 1989 Grady White 22' Sea Farer. We are also repowering to a Verado 4 cylinder. We are going from a Evinrude Fam Ficht 225 to the Verado 200. The weight of the 2 motors are almost identical. We do not have the bracket but an open transom in the back. Everyone that we spoke with seemed to think the verado 200 was a compirable motor performance wise, and weight wise.. I cant wait to get it done!

Ill post some pics when it is finished.