Verado vs Sea Pro

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Repowering my ‘07 300 Marlin this winter. I’ve decided on 300 Mercs. The Verado is recommended by the dealer and mechanic, but the SeaPro is the same block de-tuned, has more stainless below the waterline, and a bigger alternator (my Raymarine electronics and fridge burn through my battery setup pretty fast). Price is within the ballpark close enough to not be a factor.

Their reasoning was the wider Rpm range of the Verado will provide me better overall performance. The Sea Pros are more of a commercial product, and although I put 2-300 hours on the boat annually the difference between commercial and recreational use fits me better with Verados.

Anyone care to add their two cents?

Thanks in advance. Randy

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I was thinking of of twin 150 sea pros for my 24 but the dealer talked me out of it. his main pushing point was you will feel less vibration with the verados. apparently the mounts are more rigid on the sea pros transferring that vibration to the boat. I don't know first hand but I assumed the dealer was not blowing smoke as he stood to make more money selling me 2. we will be putting a single 250 Verado on it

Reactions: Angler Management

sneakattack

Reaction score
If you’re talking about the 4.6l V8s then He’s wrong about two things. They both have 115 amp alternators and the rpm ranges are the same 800. The verado is tuned to produce up around 6000 while sea pro I think redlines 5600.
The verado can also utilize either the 1.75:1 or the 1.85.1 gearcase.

I would question him on the warranty. Sea pro is the commercial grade motor, I’m not sure mercury has the same warranty with those as the regular four strokes or verados.
I would put the regular 300 four strokes on the boat. Only drawback is 85 amp alternator vs 115 but you also shave over 100 pounds of weight for twins versus the verado 300.

Last edited: