Veterans and lessons learned.

Branch of service

• Total voters

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
“Working” from home and inadvertently hijacked a thread under the photo section to a discussion of military service and it got me to wondering how many members here are military vets? How about letting us know branch, rate/rank/ where and what years you were in. Perhaps a sea story or boating life lesson learned? I was US Navy, submarine force, IC2(SS) Mostly N.Atlantic ( Scotland, Charleston, New London) 1975-80. Lesson learned, approach the dock/slip slowly. A slow bump does much less damage than “ALL BACK FULL!!!!”...CRUNCH!!!

L

LBass

USMC
MSgt
CH-53A/D/E Crewchief
Aug 1981 - Feb 2004

Bring plenty of cash (deep in your pocket) when you hit liberty ports!

Semper Fi

Reactions: oasis04 and Keeldad

bartoma

Reaction score
Not a USMIL vet, but worked in the shadows in a civiian agency... Learned, in the early days of GPS, that a pitching boat could cause significant problem acquiring a fix due to satellites coming in and out of view...

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
US Navy 86-90. MM3 USS Sierra out of Charleston, S.C. Learned not to bring explosives on a Navy boat :p

R

Reactions: igblack87

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Citadel military college (1992). No other military background. As you were saying, “approach the dock slip slowly”. I always tell someone “never approach a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it.” Lol. I want to thank everyone for their service!!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Unfortunately NOT a veteran but worked as a young engineer at Raytheon on Troposcatter Communications terminals and modems and multiplexers. Then Northrop for inertial navigation assemblies and midcourse guidance and sensors (iron gyros and accelerometers near the end RLGs) for SM2, Patriot, AMRAAM, Phoenix, SLAAM, Tomahawk, ALCM and other missiles as well as navigation packages for the A6 Intruder, Harrier AV8, GOES satellite packages, Titan rocket and the space shuttle. We made em, you used em! Thanks for your service.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
US Navy '80-'86, Dental Technician. USS Dixie AD-14 and USS Kitty Hawk CV-63, both homeported in San Diego for my sea duty. Shore duty was in Beaufort SC at the Naval Hospital Beaufort.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Coast Guard Reserve
CWO3 Retired
1982-2014

Best decision I ever made.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
USCG 69-96
CAPT (ret)
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, except bears, they will kill you! Had a fantastic career!

Last edited:

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
US ARMY SP 5
Aircraft Electrician
3-22-66 TO 3-21-69
1969-1996 DOD retired

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not a USMIL vet, but worked in the shadows in a civiian agency... Learned, in the early days of GPS, that a pitching boat could cause significant problem acquiring a fix due to satellites coming in and out of view...
“Working” from home and inadvertently hijacked a thread under the photo section to a discussion of military service and it got me to wondering how many members here are military vets? How about letting us know branch, rate/rank/ where and what years you were in. Perhaps a sea story or boating life lesson learned? I was US Navy, submarine force, IC2(SS) Mostly N.Atlantic ( Scotland, Charleston, New London) 1975-80. Lesson learned, approach the dock/slip slowly. A slow bump does much less damage than “ALL BACK FULL!!!!”...CRUNCH!!!
USAF E-4 gulf war veteran civil engineer