VHF and antenna location on Freedom 225

Graybeard

Reaction score
I have a handheld VHF but the wife wants one of the radio's with the red distress button. That means cutting holes and having an antenna. Does anyone know the factory mounting locations? Or am I on my own to find the best spot for my boat? Thanks

Shutterbug

Reaction score
Take it you have a hard top. I've an older grady/hardtop. Be happy to send you couple photos. Mine was on your own. Been happy with results.

leveling pad (buy or make your own)
ss ratchet mount
antenna
can't think of it's name, item that fastens (screws) to hardtop that annt. cable passes thru.

mount the antenna either to port, starboard, aft or just forward of radio box. whichever suites.
main concern is to make sure you send the antenna cable through the hardtop and ABOVE the radio box.
mount radio in box, you should have fuse block in there?
sure there's some better way, just how mine was done.

seasick

Reaction score
Graybeard said:
I have a handheld VHF but the wife wants one of the radio's with the red distress button. That means cutting holes and having an antenna. Does anyone know the factory mounting locations? Or am I on my own to find the best spot for my boat? Thanks
You can but handhelds with DSC ( the red button) as well as GPS. I do not recommend having only a handheld especially if you boat off shore. The reception/ transmission ranges of VHF depends directly on antenna height and by its very nature, handhelds antennas are lower than a typical separated VHF antenna would be.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well I don't have a hard top, just a bimini canvas top and I don't go off shore anymore. I just stay in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. I did the fixed VHF installs on my first two boats but just couldn't bring myself to cut holes in my new GW. So at least I got a hand held that has served it's purpose. But I really need to upgrade to a fixed amount with a distress button.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With where you boat, I think you'd be just fine with a HH like Seasick mentioned. You can't go wrong with a fixed-mount, but there's enough traffic throughout the bay that you'll be OK. As far as where to mount (if youy decide to go that route) - don't worry about a "factory" location, there's nothing special to that. Put it where it makes the most sense to you.