Vhf Antenna Problem?

GREYLOCK

Reaction score
Im wondering if there is a way to test my antenna with an ohm meter or some other way to see if it is still good? Here is my problem with my last vhf didnt seem to get any response from any one when trying to hail them or even get a radio check. I just figured it was the radio but i hardly ever use it but want to know its there if i need it in an emergency. Last weekend i was lucky enough to win a new Icom m304 in a raffle at my marina .I hooked it up and still have the same issue. i did have a vhf/am-fm splitter hooked up so i removed it and it made no difference.i had my wife take a hand held vhf with her about a mile down the road and she couldn't hear me/i couldn't hear her . also when trying to listen to the wx channels the hand held had far better reception. I think its probably the antenna but dont want to buy a new one if its not the problem Also does anyone know if a swr/power meter for a cb radio will work on vhf?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It sounds like your antenna is bad. Still, you could invest $10 in the Centerpin crimp on connector, and try replacing the plug. Sometimes that is all it is. If that doesn't fix it, then you can spend $100 to replace the antenna.

Good call to remove the AM/FM splitter...its been my experience that those things hurt your VHF reception.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A CB SWR meter will not work for marine VHF. The frequencies are too different. Best to get one designed for marine VHF, or one for 2-meter HAM radio will work OK.

I agree with Parthery. If you don't have access to a SWR meter, try the simple, cheap stuff first. It could just be the connector.

seasick

Reaction score
The easiest test is to find a friend with a boat and wire up your radio to their antenna.
There is no way to test the antenna with an ohmmeter.
You can use the meter to check the continuity of the cable though by disconnecting it at the radio and antenna and checking resistance between center pin to center pin and ground ring to ground ring. Resistance should be very low.f