VHF Radio Recommendations

Addy222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Can anyone recommend a decent VHF radio for a reasonable price? I am looking to replace mine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Assuming you are talking about a fixed mount VHF. All of the major brands of VHF radios are solid. They all put out 25 W on the high power setting. The antenna is more important than the radio itself. The difference in price is essentially bells and whistles. Do you expect to connect it to a GPS or would you like a radio with a GPS internally. Really need more detail on what sort of operations you conduct. All coastal? any offshore? VHF radios are line of sight. Most have DSC capability. If you are looking to simply replace your current radio without any upgrades. Just shop around to places like the GPS store Cabela’s. Look for sales.

Addy222

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Assuming you are talking about a fixed mount VHF. All of the major brands of VHF radios are solid. They all put out 25 W on the high power setting. The antenna is more important than the radio itself. The difference in price is essentially bells and whistles. Do you expect to connect it to a GPS or would you like a radio with a GPS internally. Really need more detail on what sort of operations you conduct. All coastal? any offshore? VHF radios are line of sight. Most have DSC capability. If you are looking to simply replace your current radio without any upgrades. Just shop around to places like the GPS store Cabela’s. Look for sales.
Yes VHF sorry for that. I really appreciate the response. I am looking for a unit with an internal GPS. I mainly do inshore fishing with the occasional offshore trip. I was looking for personal experience with different brands. Again, thanks for the help!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You didn't mention what other electronics you have. Do you want to connect to them thru NMEA 2k? Can your mfd display AIS?
AIS will display symbols on your chartplotter for commercial ships position direction and speed and give crossing Alerts. Its worthwhile to have in the fog or in the dark.

The Standard Horizon GX2200 or GX2400 have built-in GPS and AIS and can display them in a rudimentary fashion on their own screen. So they are a good backup to your GPS chartplotter.
The gx2400 has NMEA2k and is easier to connect to the rest of you system to share GPS and AIS data.
The gx2200 is older and uses NMEA0183. Its a little harder to setup but its under $200

Reactions: Sdfish

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
+1 on the Standard Horizon GX2200. Great back up should GPS go out on instruments

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If your chartplotter will handle AIS get a vhf that connects via NMEA2000 and has AIS capabilities. In my case I went with Garmin as my other electronics where all Garmin. I have also had good luck with Digital Antennas.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whatever radio you decide onc don’t skimp on the antenna. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $200 for a decent Shakespeare or Digital.