Vinyl Enclosure

Mickey Finn

Reaction score
Just put a down payment on a new vinyl enclosure for the Mickey Finn. :) (25 ft Sailfish)
I received a lot of quotes and took into consideration not only cost but quality and service as well. We decided to go with Creative Canvas http://creativecanvasworks.com . Not only was their price competitive but they really seem to want to sell me a product I will be happy for years to come. They made several suggestions to the layout including changing the smiley face in the front to a frown. The reason being because of its location, it will be easier to roll down and strap then to roll up. Also it will be less likely to leak in a heavy rain or spray. So far they have been great to work with.

As they say the proof is in the pudding and I will not get a chance to try it out until spring.
I will keep you updated as to the service and quality.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
When I did a new enclosure for my Sailfish, I eliminated the front smiley faces completely because they obstructed vision and were hard to get to. I put a smiley face on each side, in line with the captain's and companion seat. They are much easier to get to, provide good cross ventilation and I believe the zippers are less exposed to salt spray than those on the front were. You can easily open or close them while running the boat. Don't know how far along your project is, but you may want to consider that.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mickey, I am very interested in your results.

I had contacted the folks that do the original canvas for Grady factory and for full enclosure, got a quote of approx. $1500.00.

Assume since they have the original template, and also said it would be good to send them my original canvas to make sure no fitup issues due to design changes, I would have a perfect fitup.

I had contacted a couple of other recommended canvas company's but they did not have a template to follow, so my only option was to go to the original factory team or another local shop. The factory group is not that far away, so I could deliver the originals to them rather than try to mail.

But, always open to opportunity here on your results and pricing as well as their quality and fitup. Let me know what you end up with as I will likely pursue new canvas in January timeframe.
Are these folks local to you? What year and model Sailfish do you have?

GTOMAN

Reaction score
Robert, the folks in Vanceboro did mine and I trailered my Sailfish to them and they installed the new one on the boat for me. They told me I would have to install the snaps myself if I only sent them the old vinyl. They have a secure fenced in area behind the shop and I felt it was worth the 2 trips there to have them put the snaps on correctly for me, instead of me possibly messing it up with an incorrectly punched hole in the canvas.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GTOMAN, when did you have this done? Did they charge more to install for you? PM me if you can share more details. I was wondering about the snaps! Would really hate to do that and like you say, do it wrong. I put some snaps on a cooler cushion over a year ago, and they are already disintegrating. I guess the snap kit might not be of good quality,so would have to look in to that as well.

Also, can you share a pic of this sideways smiley face? Would like to see what that looks like and how it works.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
They did not charge me any extra to install the snaps. My boat is at Emerald Isle and I live in Rocky Mount so I can't send you any pictures today. The fellows in Vanceboro helped me design it, so they will know how to do it. The smiley face is an elongated half-moon (or semi-circle) shape that is in the side panel that is directly in line with where one would sit in the captain and companion seats. They roll up to the inside and are held up top by straps that are attached to the flat metal knobs that twist into the slotted metal holes on the straps. The new straps they use now have felt on one side of them to prevent them from scratching the eisenglass like the old ones did. These are so much easier to get to than the ones in the front windshield area and I believe they provide good ventilation without wind blowing in your face when you are driving the boat.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, sounds like a good idea. So the smile was added to the side curtains so you don't have to roll up the entire side. Kinda like a window.
I was thinking you had them change the design on the front curtain to make it easier to get to as mine are a bit of a pain to reach.

Will definately think about taking the boat to them now that I know this is an option. That way, it will fit perfectly and also like you said, help understand any upgrades from original design.

Did you go with the original navy color or their new white?

grady23

Reaction score
GTOMAN-- I'm in need of new canvas myself. Can you provide me the name and location of the company that does the work for Grady? I have the original 14yr old canvas and it's finally giving up. I keep the hadrtop area covered to avoid excess sun exposure and I think it has helped a great deal. Please feel free to email me if you like "Rockfish1948@earthlink.net"
Thanks --Steve

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mickey Finn said:
Just put a down payment on a new vinyl enclosure for the Mickey Finn. :) (25 ft Sailfish)
I received a lot of quotes and took into consideration not only cost but quality and service as well. We decided to go with Creative Canvas http://creativecanvasworks.com . Not only was their price competitive but they really seem to want to sell me a product I will be happy for years to come. They made several suggestions to the layout including changing the smiley face in the front to a frown. The reason being because of its location, it will be easier to roll down and strap then to roll up. Also it will be less likely to leak in a heavy rain or spray. So far they have been great to work with.

As they say the proof is in the pudding and I will not get a chance to try it out until spring.
I will keep you updated as to the service and quality.

Keep us updated. I have some work that needs to be done on mine. If they are good and reasonable would like to know. Also if you get some pictures even better. Especially the frown look and use.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The folks Grady sends us to is:
A&J Canvas
2450 Streets Ferry Road
Vanceboro, NC 28586-8349
(252) 244-1509

Ask for Bobbie.

Mickey Finn

Reaction score
Roberth
$1,500 for a full enclosure is a great price - what did the use for the vinly. I am having mine finished with 30 mil Strata Glass for uv and scratch resistant. Fabric for trim and around windows is a vinyl product called stamoid.
The price for mine will be north (but not much) of the $1,500 but I have checked out some of their work and they do a great job, Nice and tight but not tight enough so you need vise grips and a hammer to snap them.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have heard this is a decent price. Have heard some cost more an others less. I am sure that is of course due to types of materials and different labor but on average, it seems average.

I have no idea what the materials are that they use. It is same as what the Grady's get at the factory. The one's on the boat now are originals and are still going, but starting to fall apart and get a little harder to see through. Of course, I have no idea how much they were used over the years as I just picked up this boat earlier this year. They seemed to be of a very good quality though to last just over 18 years and still be usable.

Anyone else know what the Grady materials are? Type of glass?

grady23

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the A & J company. I like the idea of the smiley faces on the side(s). Many times I would have liked to have ventilation from the side without rolling up the entire "Glass".