Vinyl Seat Snap Replacement?

seasick

Reaction score
Pretty much standard as far as diameters and shaft size goes. You need to get the correct type of course.
Look at the Sailrite web site. They have all types.
You will need to decide on material, stainless or chrome plated. The stainless parts are harder to 'rivet'

There are three types of tools for assembling the snaps; The setting tool and anvil. You hammer the tool to squish the fitting. I don't recommend that type. It doesn't work well.
The vise grip style of tool. I use one and it works pretty good once you get the hang of the adjustments needed. Cost about $40. Downside is that you will need to pre punch the hole. You can see several choices for this type of tool on Amazon and probably less expensive than Sailrite
The pro press tool is the choice of the pros but it is pretty expensive as you will see in the Sailrite catalog. That tool will punch the hole too.
Buy more fittings than you need, you probably will waste a few getting up to speed

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Pretty much standard as far as diameters and shaft size goes. You need to get the correct type of course.
Look at the Sailrite web site. They have all types.
You will need to decide on material, stainless or chrome plated. The stainless parts are harder to 'rivet'

There are three types of tools for assembling the snaps; The setting tool and anvil. You hammer the tool to squish the fitting. I don't recommend that type. It doesn't work well.
The vise grip style of tool. I use one and it works pretty good once you get the hang of the adjustments needed. Cost about $40. Downside is that you will need to pre punch the hole. You can see several choices for this type of tool on Amazon and probably less expensive than Sailrite
The pro press tool is the choice of the pros but it is pretty expensive as you will see in the Sailrite catalog. That tool will punch the hole too.
Buy more fittings than you need, you probably will waste a few getting up to speed
So they're petty much a standard size, thank you. I'll check out Sailrite, sounds like the vise grip style installer is what I will look for. Thanks again.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
“Standard “ marine snaps are called by several designations: line 24, 24 ligne, 0.600”, or 15mm. There are five common pieces to a snap set, if you include the screw in option for the stud. You only need the cap and socket.
Use stainless, your best option for actually getting stainless, instead of some junk, is to buy from Sailrite , or stick to Dot brand, but avoid Lift-the-Dot, which is a specialized snap, which only works in one orientation.
The vice grip snap setter is a handy tool to have around, but the key to getting good snap sets is having the correct barrel length. All of the different types of setters have a limited amount of flare, and if the snap set is not snug to the material at that point, then the barrel collapses to one side. This is especially true with a cap and socket, where the barrel length only needs to be roughly the thickness of the material, and the flare will pull the connection snug.
Start with 3/8 inch, and if the snap does not pull snug with the flare, or if it collapses to one side, hold the next cap In a pair of pliers, and touch the barrel to a sanding wheel to shorten it. Don’t worry about the rough end, it will flare smoothly. I’ve done this more times than I can count.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought the real deal snap installer off Amazon. Very easy to use and does a great job.
The vise-grip thing never worked very well for me. Seemed like every time I removed cushions, I was pulling a snap off somewhere, so I invested in the better tool.

20200519_194529.jpg

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a couple of those also. The Press and Snap will actually make its own holes, using the barrel of the snap as a punch, up to at least three or four layers of Sunbrella type material, but pre-punching may be more exact placement.

Fishtales

Reaction score
West marine has a kit. I’d look for the kit with a base and punch. Much stronger. There are 2 types of snaps one is lightweight and can be crimped by a lightweight crimp tool. The second are stronger snaps. You need the punch or a much stronger crimp tool.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I bought the real deal snap installer off Amazon. Very easy to use and does a great job.
The vise-grip thing never worked very well for me. Seemed like every time I removed cushions, I was pulling a snap off somewhere, so I invested in the better tool.

View attachment 27433
Do you have a link? I searched Amazon and cannot find that one.

seasick

Reaction score
There are lots of SS offerings on EBay but I cab assure you that if you get one of those kits with about 300 pieces for about $25 the quality is not going to be great. Same goes for the Nickle plated. There are plenty of low quality options.
I went with Sailrite as my source.
The last piece I made, a help cover for my 25 foot cuddy, was about 4 seasons ago and it has been exposed to the weather for the boating season. The finish on the snap caps has held up well. Some snaps have become a bit tight lately and I will try cleaning the spring ring as best I can and applying a little zipper lube ( which I should have done earlier:(
I will let you know next spring how that works out.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have a link? I searched Amazon and cannot find that one.

Create a search on ebay, with email notification every time a new listing is posted, and you might get lucky on a good BIN price. Make sure all the dies are included, or you will pay more for them than for the tool. Four dies for the snaps, and usually dies for two sizes of grommets.

Last edited: