Vinyl Stripping

spx1000

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Guy's,
Does anyone know where you can buy the GW Stripping? Mine is the 2" Wide Blue space then 1/2" Blue wide. Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Picked mine up from dealer when I replaced it. This was for my 2004. I'm sure the newer stripes are also available through your dealer.

ymail-tmp-170727592.jpgIMG_1751.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
dealer, sold by the foot. there are many styles, so bring a pic or a piece of your style to match up.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought mine at https://discontinueddecals.com/store/c/41-Grady-White-Decals.aspx
look great and still do after a couple years. I had a vinyl wrap guy install them as it seemed like I couldn’t really do it by myself and make it look professional. I also bought the new “flag” emblems that go on the side of the cabin and the Grady white name that goes on the side of the boat by the transom. Totally upgraded the weathered look on my ‘89 Sailfish 252.

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I got it from Hullstripes.com let me see if I have the specs when I get home. I got a roll per side, vs cutting it in half. I think it was like 60-80 per roll, but it added all 5 stripes in one tape.. blue, white, gold, white, blue.. heh

R

spx1000

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Awesome and TY! I am working with Bill @ Hillstripes now!

GW Miami

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m installing a new stripe I purchased from Hullstripes.com as suggested. My question is where the hull begins to rise, I see some Grady’s have the stripe stop there and a new piece finishes to the bow. Do you guys install it in one single stripe from stern to bow? Or do you cut it at the spot where it turns up ?
Thanks for the help.

spx1000

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well if you don't do yours before I do, I will let you know as I was looking at the same issue. Be chance what "Blue" did you use from Hullstripes?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m installing a new stripe I purchased from Hullstripes.com as suggested. My question is where the hull begins to rise, I see some Grady’s have the stripe stop there and a new piece finishes to the bow. Do you guys install it in one single stripe from stern to bow? Or do you cut it at the spot where it turns up ?
Thanks for the help.

I cut mine and overlapped. Original was same way. Need to start from the rear and go forward. That way when you cut and overlap, the lap edge will be facing away from spray and airflow if you trailer, keeps the cut edge from trying to peel up.

Reactions: spx1000

GW Miami

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the detailed response. The old stripes I took off were that way, just wanted to get the forums input. Thanks again.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, what he said. I looked at all the installs out there and figured I would run two "runs".. one from the bow, then "curve it downwards"....overlap the one from the stern, then slice off the overlap, to make a slight "V" at the join.

R

GW Miami

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What detail did you use on the intersection of the two stripes at the bow? Any up close pictures on hand that would show these details is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Greyduk

Reaction score
What detail did you use on the intersection of the two stripes at the bow? Any up close pictures on hand that would show these details is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Here is a picture of the bow of my 248. The two other GW's that I have had were continuous with no break. I think either way is acceptable.248 Bow.jpg

GW Miami

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the prompt response. We are getting underway soon and want to get it right the first time. The original one on my Sailfish 1999, was overlapped. Unfortunately, I didn’t snap any good pictures showing the detail of the work in place. I caught my self midway while taking off the old stripe and snapped a picture, which shows half of the overlap. I’m now trying to play detective and figure out what folds over what, and what cuts I need to make to get it right. Trying to upload a picture, for reference, but the file is too large. Thanks again for the advice.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here are mine. The bow has some wear and roller adjustment done to it. :p
Side overlap also. The gap between the big blue and small gold is so small, no real way to show separation between the two at the overlap. These are in no way professionally done, I did them and they are fine for me, a far cry from the rough originals I removed. I also color matched my registration numbers to the stripes with navy and gold.
20191026_105627.jpg20191026_105557.jpg20180414_182451.jpg
20190505_150013.jpg

GW Miami

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Perfect. A picture definitely is worth a thousand words. Between these and the pictures I took, I’m in a way better spot.

Thanks for the help.

I’m a long time lurker and have actually used a lot of info on this site, without having to ask. But I couldn’t find a discussion about the overlap, much less a picture.

Off to the races. I’ll be sure to get some smaller file sized pictures of the half removed original and newly installed stripes, to share back with the forum.