Vista Top Hnts

timberxx

Reaction score
I tried yesterday and today to install a vista top on my tournament. It was frustrating and time consuming to install.

I thought the snaps, zippers and velcro would be easy to use, but its not.

I first installed the snaps, then the zippers, then the velcro.

Any hints to get these things installed faster? I may move some of the snaps, but I don't think that will solve all my problems.

G8RDave

Reaction score
It is probably so cold that things shrunk. Maybe take the top inside and let it warm up making it more pliable. I know when things get chilly here it is very hard to get my eisenglass (or whatever our curtains are made of) to fasten.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The top is much easier to work with when its warm....don't move any of the snaps...if you can move the boat into a warm garage it might be easier. Otherwise, wait a couple weeks...

Average Joe

Reaction score
What the others said. Lay them flat or put them over a shower curtain rod and let them warm up. Then take them out one piece at a time for installation.

I start with the windshield piece, zippers first but not all the way OB and then pull down to snap. Then add a side curtain using the same process. After both side curtains are on you can finish running the zippers all the way out.

If you have the rear drop curtain thats pretty easy at this point to install.

Note that the snap bases on the windshield slide if needed.

I go through this drill every fall.

timberxx

Reaction score
thanks guys. I have the parts of the vista top inside now, and am hoping for the best.

I live in an apartment, so to hang them on the shower curtain is a good idea.

They've never been used and are from 2004, but i didn't expect it to be that difficult.

I will be going on a cruise next weekend and hope they go on smoothly.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get a couple of 1500W electric heaters on the boat deck, hang the curtains in place zipped but but unsnapped, make sure they don't fall on heaters.

Have a beer, with feet up relaxed, read newspaper.

When done with beer and paper, make up the snaps.

Alternately, if you have no wind around or can curtain the boat to trap the air, a clear sunny day will do it, naturally.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Beer and paper...that's funny! That's Bobp!

If they haven't been used much or installed only a couple of times they haven't had a chance to relax a little and can be fairly difficult. And yes, heat makes them a lot more pliable. Practice also helps. I've installed side panels in a 30 knot breeze and 4' seas to keep the spray out. We were already soaked!

A couple of things that will help though...
1. Make sure the top of the bimini is centered on the arch tubes. It will tend to work its way over one side or the other. You may find one panel goes right on and then you can't get the other side on. You can even mark the tubes with a sharpie for future reference.
2. Once you get all your panels on , adjust front and rear straps so they are perfect for next time.
3. yes, zippers first, then snaps, then velcro. Front, sides, back.
4. The side curtains seem to be the toughest, and sometimes easier from the outside. Pull down with one hand and snap with the other. Work from windshield back.
5. Best snap lube, easy to use: lip balm. Sunscreen optional. :wink:
6. Install everything and leave it up for a time. Especially if you get some warm sun. Will relax the clear plastic and make next install easier.
7. Roll panels, don't fold. Very important, otherwise you'll get permanent creases. Some even roll old bath towels in between the panels to protect from scratching. I dunno, mine are 4years old this year and still look like brand new.
8. If you still have the plastic adjust buckles for the front straps, consider replacing them with stainless - they will break.

Stainless top hardware, buckles, snaps, toggles, velcro, etc. : www.sailrite.com. Don't buy the cheap nickel plated brass parts they have at West Marine = junk. Have at least a few replacement snaps on hand - it's not unusuall to get a couple that pull apart.

If you use your top a lot, plan to remove it once a year, clean it with 303 fabric cleaner and a soft brush. Treat with their fabric protectant. It's what Sunbrella recommends for their fabric. Will restore water repellency and prevent sun damage, rot, and mildew.

timberxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the hints guys. I went to the boat yesterday in the 60 degree heat, and it was much easier to work with.

I will reattempt the install tomorrow.

timberxx

Reaction score
So I attempted the curtain install again today. One side curtain and the front curtain went on in 15 minutes.

I have a seized zipper on the second side curtain. I played with it for 10 minutes and couldn't get it loose. Any suggestions?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You probably have a piece of edge tape or zipper backing jammed between the slide and the teeth. Look on both sides, see if you can see what's blocking it from moving. Could also be a bent or partially torn-out tooth in the zipper. This is not good, can mean a zipper replacement.
Always try to back out or unzip the slide.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you haven't done it already, try to get some lubricant in there. I used spray silicone to free up the zippers on my old curtains. They were frozen by what I assumed was corrosion from salt. Avoid petroleum based products like penetrating oil as it will stain the fabric if you get it on it. It took a while - had to spray it several times and let it sit between each application. Then I started trying to move the zipper. It took some pretty good tugging but finally came free. Had to clean a gritty substance from the zipper afterward. Assume it was the corrosion breaking up. Good luck.
Gary 89 Overnighter