Volvo I/O anyone?

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has repowered with a volvo and what their experiences are.

striped bass

Reaction score
We came close to buying a motor cruiser at the Newport boat show with a Volvo D-6 engine and a direct drive I/O. We became leary when the service manager (out of earshot of the salesperson) for the dealership selling the boat recommended a straight prop and shaft. We did further research on the web and found a whole string of headaches with Volvo I/O units. To be fair all I/O units seem to suffer the same weaknesses i.e. bellows leak, u joints wear out ASAP, design deficiencies. Our master mechanic at our boat yard said he dismounts and breaks down all I/O units for the yard's customers EVERY year to check out the standard weak areas before they get out of hand. Even then issue develop. Bottom line is that a mechanical unit that stays submerged in salt water is prone to problems no matter what manufacturer. Put on top of that the design deficiencies of most I/O units and you can expect extra cost and problems. We passed on the boat and any future boats with I/O units.

JeffN

Reaction score
Sorry can't help you with Volvos I have always had Mercruisers. My piece of advise would be to buy whatever brand I/O is best represented by a dealer you trust in your area. Don't buy from a dealer like Striped Bass described, they don't like I/Os and you are pretty much guaranteed a bad experience. There are many I/O haters and many of the haters have never owned an I/O. I have had I/Os in my boat for the twenty two years I have owned it, the original motors were 23 years old when replaced. They were never all that much of a problem and were never that expensive to own.

kooch1221

Reaction score
I had a Grady White Offshore with a Cobra outdrive. I had such bad experiences with it Ill most likely never have another boat with an IO. The new outboards are so good now Im not sure there is a reason to go IO anymore.

JeffN

Reaction score
kooch1221 said:
I had a Grady White Offshore with a Cobra outdrive. I had such bad experiences with it Ill most likely never have another boat with an IO. The new outboards are so good now Im not sure there is a reason to go IO anymore.

If I had owned an OMC I would not own another I/O either. Both the early OMCs and the later Cobras were less than satifactory. Vovlo and Merc are different animals. I think Offshore is asking because he has an older boat with an I/O and is looking to replace. Much more cost effective to replace with an I/O instead of rebuilding the transom, hanging a bracket, and buying an outboard.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Volvo?

Have a friend with a 25' Privateer. Just spun several main bearings on his Volvo Diesel. His is inboard not I/O. He had just replaced the prop shaft and installed a new transmission. I love my Mercruiser! I have not had one second of trouble out of it but I stay on top my own preventive maintenance. Have wondered about the Volvo units as well. Any body out there running one?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Nice Combo!

Mercruiser with a Cummins diesel, now that sounds like a happy marriage to me. Rebuilt a Volvo diesel several years ago and do remember that the parts were outrageously priced and the engine was not a fun one to build. 8)

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 1993 Explorer with the 5.7L V/P duo prop, fresh water cooled set-up. I bought the GW in the winter of 2003. Prior to this I had many O/B’s (OMC and Merc’s) for 30 years. My last O/B was a 150 HP Evinrude Ocean Runner which I bought new. I practiced safe fueling, used all the additives, brought it to the dealer for all the maintenance etc. The top cylinder disintegrated after 300 hours. My dad at the time and still does have a 1988 GW Seafarer with an OMC Cobra I/O. Contrary to what others have said about this package, he actually had and still does have really good luck with it. We all liked the full transom, quiet operation, and power. We finally repowered his last spring with a motor I found in Canada that was only used in fresh water and had 150 hrs on it. What a sweet motor.

That all said, when I blew my Ocean Runner – I wanted out of O/B’s. I also wanted to get a GW. I wanted a GW in the 24-25 ft range, with one engine. With the positive experience of my dad’s I/O Grady, I looked for an I/O. I had heard good things about the VP DP – so I looked for one. Further to wanting out of O/B’s, at the time I was shopping, ethanol was hitting our gas and I was concerned of the effect on the fuel in a 2S. 4S were still fairly new. So again – the I/O was my target. Fortunately – I found my GW with the power package I wanted. The boat was well maintained, had all the options offered at the time, and only 400 hours. Unfortunately – I missed something in my due diligence with the motor and I blew that one the month of my launch. I think it had a cracked block that did not show until it was under load. I don’t know. But not a good run for motors for me at the time.(You gotta love boating) I ended up repowering with a new Jensen motor, replaced all the peripherals (risers, manifold, y-pipe, starter, raw water pump etc) so now I know what I got for about $6000. I could not be happier with my GW. I know what I got and I have put over 650 hours on it. I run offshore, have taken the boat from the south shore of LI, up the Connecticut river, run to Greenport at least twice a summer (about a 100 miles round trip) – it goes all over. I cruise at 3000 rpm, burning 10-11 gph and doing 26 mph. I back into all dock spaces for easy on and off. Have a full swim platform and completely closed transom. What’s not to like. I get a full drive service every other year for $350. I stay with aluminum props to reduce any more dissimilar metal issues (the VP anodes work great) the drive is as smooth as new. The boat is in the water from May to November. I also keep the drive down so the boot is compressed so no barnacles grow in the boot creases. I think you get more HP for the $ with an I/O. I think the maintenance is more on an I/O than an O/B, but the operating cost is less – so in the end it is a wash. There are a lot of boats on the water with I/O’s spanning the entire range of value and application. Bottom line, do the maintenance, fix whatever when something is wrong and use it. A boat that sits is asking for problems. The I/O is what I wanted, I am happy with it and it meets my needs. Good luck to you with your decision. My boat is in the Gallery.

Oceanbean 93 Explorer 245 VP DP

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
You Go I/O!

Oceanbean, You sir are a champion of us I/O guys. You have covered all the bases with style! "Full Transom"! "Quiet Operation" and "Power"! Early one morning when I started my engine at a dead idle I could hear the guys on a Mako next me at the ramp all at once say "SWEET"! 8)

kooch1221

Reaction score
JeffN said:
kooch1221 said:

If I had owned an OMC I would not own another I/O either. Both the early OMCs and the later Cobras were less than satifactory. Vovlo and Merc are different animals. I think Offshore is asking because he has an older boat with an I/O and is looking to replace. Much more cost effective to replace with an I/O instead of rebuilding the transom, hanging a bracket, and buying an outboard.

I should have qualified my statement better. I actually didnt have much trouble with the OMC outdrive itself. It was the engine,shifting mechanism and the horrible exhaust design that really turned me off to the IO drives.I agree replacing an IO with outboards isnt going to be cost effective

That being said I have a friend with a Vovlo DP in a 25' Steiger he runs out of Montauk and he hasnt had a lick of trouble in years of operation.

If buying new or near new Id opt for the outboards

Amigo

Reaction score
Captain Thunderheart, Do you have a 454 CI in your Sailfish?

I have a 1988 Sailfish with a 454 - 7.4 liter Mercrusier/Bravo One. Engine and outdrive are original. Nothing major for either.

Yes, It does sound sweet at about a 1,000 RPM. Coming back in through the piers I move close to the sheet pilings and let the sound bounce back and forth between the piers. Heads turn! :D

Love that big block rumble.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Mouse Motor

Hello Amigo! I often wish that I had the 454 Big Block. I have the 350 Small Block. What is your horsepower? I am 300 hp at full throttle. I bet that 454 does sound sweet! 8)

Amigo

Reaction score
Captain,

The 7.4 is rated at 330 HP. Top end is a maximum of 4,600 RPM. I cruise at 22-23MPH at 3,200 RPM. I have a lot of weight on it with downriggers and other fishing equipment plus a 9.9 4 stroke kicker for trolling.

Lots of low end torque. It is a good match for the 25 ft. Sailfish.

She is on a boat lift for the summer very close to Lake Michigan. She is put away in the winters in heated storage.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I have to agree.........I prefer the I/O's

I replaced my entire engine on my own in my driveway for ~$3K.....300+HP for $3K....try and do that with an OB. I cruise @ 30MPH @ 3500RPM probably burning less than 10gals/hr.

If you are handy at least you can work on the I/Os.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
"Sailfish"

Captain Amigo, Thanks for your reply. My performance is similar to yours.
The little 350 moves us also about 22-23 mph at a similar power setting of 3200-3400 rpm. Max rpm is 4800-5000. This setup also fits the Sailfish well. I can relate to the loaded boat, I trailer to the Gulf of Mexico (We can fish all year long down this way) with full fuel, full ice, full water, a load of fishing gear(we troll and bottom fish) We don't go to fast but we go pretty far! Do you have the same 125 gallon fuel capacity or larger? 8)

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
84Offshore

Hello to you 84Offshore! You just stated some of my primary reasons for running the I/O. Yes Sir! A power package that us mechanical types do well with. I wanted that old familiar V-8! I know that your horsepower per dollar is untouchable!

Amigo

Reaction score
Captain Thunderheart.

Yes on the 125 gallon tank. I very rarely fill it beyond 5/8 full. To get to fishing depth in Lake Michigan from the St. Joseph harbor requires about 10 minutes at no wake speed and then 5 - 8 miles out on the lake. That get us to 100 or more feet of water for salmon, steelhead, laketrout and and an occasional brown trout.

I then set up and troll with the 9.9 HP 4 cycle Merc. I added an auto pilot to the trolling motor this past year. It really make trolling more pleasurable.

Running time on the big engine for an average fishing trip is less than an hour. I do maybe 25 trips a year.

At cruise the FloScan reads approx 12 - 13 GPH.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Fishing

Captain Amigo, That's incredible that you can reach good fishing so quickly. I normally run out about 25 to 40 miles in the Gulf. A typical trip for us is 12-14 hours with a total travel of around 120-140 miles.(a lot of stop and drops and some trolling between spots) I run fairly conservative power settings and usually come back in with 40-50 gallons remaining. I forgot to mention that my outdrive is the Bravo II.