Voyager 248/Journey 258 - Filler Cushion?

Pete1313

Reaction score
So, I just bought a 1997 248 Voyager - it was neglected a bit by the prior owner, but is in overall good shape.

The cushions in the cuddy are actually in good shape...but I can't figure out if there is supposed to be an additional filler cushion. I have the one filler cushion that goes over the head, but there is no cushion to the aft of that. It seems like there should be a filler cushion to completely fill in that compartment. The glass around it has the proper groove to fit one in...boat just didnt' have one with it.

Anyhow - wondering if anyone has made up a filler cushion - what do you use for the base? Plywood? $tarboard??? I am on a budget (spending $ on kicker, electronics and safety)...so I'm left to doing the cosmetics and comfort stuff on my own.....

Tips on making my own center filler cushion? I don't care if the material doesn't match right now....(its a fishing boat that my family camps in.....so matching cushions not a huge deal.

Thanks for any tips!

Pete

(By the way - this forum has been absolutely awesome in helping me purchase my Grady and now going through it, finding the problem areas and fixing them, getting her ship shape for the shrimping, halibut and lingcod season here in the San Juans Islands).

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There is filler cushion on my 258 that goes from the head cushion to the bulkhead. It is rather large and a PIA to move and store out of the way when not in use so last year we made a replacement for it and made two separate smaller cushions to fill in the area --- MUCH BETTER!!!! If anybody From Grady reads this please consider this on future models!

It wasn't to hard to do even if you've never done any upholstering before. I used 1/2 inch plywood for the base. Traced the outline from the original, then split it in two. It has an irregular shape and that made for only one difficult inside pleat which my wife took care of on the sewing machine. We bought 4'' foam, similar colored fabric and a heavy vinyl backing material from a local fabric store. Not cheap but not super expensive either. Probably $150 in materials. An electric staple gun made the job easier. It came out pretty good, not profesional mind you but pretty good.

I could post some pics but not for a few weeks as I'm still covered up. The weather is looking good so far so it shouldn't be long!!! I hope I didn't just put a jinx on everything :wink:

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sorry Pete. LOL. Not sure it would fit anyway :lol:

Here's a tip to cut the cushion. Use a Sharpie to draw the pattern then an electric knife. It cuts like BUTTA!

Good luck! Pics coming sometime soon.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
cushion

one of the first things I did was take mine out and into the garage it went. (did the same with my 228) I'll keep it but It won't get out of the garage much........Tom

Pete1313

Reaction score
Agreed - re use of that cushion...however, I do use the boat to go camping with my family and also for some overnight fishing trips and that middle cushion is important for that.

I'll be making my own.....and probably getting all th cushions re-upholstered since they need it anyway!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Late getting ready to get wet this year. These are my homemade cushions.

Factory cushion for this area was large and awkward.
DSC01838.JPG

Made two to replace one. Her's the first one in place.
DSC01839.JPG

Both in place.
DSC01840.JPG

What I would consider the only tricky part. An inside pleat.
DSC01842.JPG

Vinyl backing.
DSC01841.JPG

Not to bad I think. :) :)