Voyager 248 towing

Conco

Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone experience towing a Voyager 248 with two 150hp 4stroke and aluminum trailer with a Tacoma TRD with towing package?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What you need to find out is your towing capacity of the truck and the loaded/wet weight of the boat/motors/trailer. Do the math and add up the numbers (include batteries, fuel, gear, ice, etc) and then compare to the truck's capacity. Post back with those numbers.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is a TRD based on the Toyota Tacoma or the Tundra? If it's the Tacoma then I can't imagine it would have the maximum towing capacity in order to tow a boat of that size. My 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer with a hardtop and a single main Yamaha F225 with a half tank of fuel for example is 5,300 lbs just for the boat itself, and that's with only a half a tank of fuel and minimal gear. With a full tank of fuel and a decent amount of gear I'd bet my boat would weigh close to 6,000 lbs. And then my trailer on the registration says that it weighs 975 lbs, which would put the entire thing at near 7k lbs, which I'd be willing to bet that a Toyota Tacoma will have a lighter maximum towing capacity. I'd have to imagine that a 248 Voyager which is a longer, wider and heavier boat with a full tank of fuel and an even heavier trailer is only going to be heavier on top of that, probably closer to 7,500 - 8,000 lbs fully loaded and especially since the boat has twin motors on it.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I really think you would have your hands full with that rig. If I see you on the highway I'm staying as far from you as i can get.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I tow my 248 with an F350 Superduty. She’s a heavy girl. I don’t think you could safely travel with your setup. JMO

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Max towing capacity on the Tacoma is 6,800 lbs. You are either going to be really close or over. So no, I wouldn't do it unless incredibly short distance, as in the ramp is around the corner.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I owned that boat (with a single) for 10 years. I towed it thousands of miles with a properly equiped half ton. I've driven the newest V6 Taco and can tell you with 99% certainty you have way too little truck or too much boat - unless you only plan to tow it down the street. Even then, 4 low might not be enough to get it up the ramp. That 3.5 in the Tocoma is great on paper but in the real world is gutless until you wind it up to 4k+ rpm.