Voyager 248

fliboi21

Reaction score
Hello all, Did some searching on this forum, but didn't come up wiyh much. Looking at buying a '98 248 with a yamaha 225 ox66. I'm trying to find some real world performance numbers for this combination...seems abit underpowered. Any info is great. Thanks

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have the same boat and engine , but a 99.
I would agree that on paper, it looks under powered, but keep in mind that this is the same powerhead as the 250. This means that you give up some hp, but the torque is about the same. Torque gets the boat moving, but with less hp a little slower.

If you are going to have a hardtop, always run a full fuel load + the axillary tank, a lot of gear and a couple big guys, you will be underpowered.

I have a bimini top, single tank, and not an excessive amount of gear. I have been VERY impressed at how well the package performs. Jumps out of the hole, 43 mph top speed, cruises at ~30 and gets 3mpg. Not bad in my book, but I'm sure some will argue otherwise.

reelbeliever

Reaction score
HI,

I have a 2006 Journey 258 with a single F250. Bimini top, single fuel tank. Performs very well, numbers are similar to the other posting. Hole shot on my F250 may be slightly better with the variable camshaft timing, but its incremental. The F225 is a great engine.

I don't discuss fuel burn on my dock any more. Seems to upset the other guys :D

-rb

Pete1313

Reaction score
I've got a 1997 Voyager with an OX66 250. I have the aux tank and routinely run fairly heavy. I have no hardtop but I have a radar arch and radome etc. I agree that if you run with alot of fuel and gear, the 225 might be underpowered.....I think the 250 is a great fit.

I run cruise on my boat, with 100 gallons fuel, 4 dudes and a good amount of gear, 26-27 kts, 14 Gal Per hour....which is about 1.8 NM per gallon (just over 2 statute miles per gallon).

With that boat, propping it correctly will be key. For a good holeshot, you'll give up top end and vice versa....

OX66 is a great motor, just take care of the fuel system (low presure pumps, VST filter), change your thermostats and water pump every two years.....you're golden.

Oh yeah, they do love that yamalube 2M oil though :)

whaler248

Reaction score
I have a 250 Yamaha OX66 on my 1999 Voyager. It won't win many races, but I have enough power. When I originally bought the boat new, I had a little trouble getting up out of the hole onto a plane with the supplied prop. My marina set me up with a different prop pitch and it gets up a lot easier. A different pitch may help you too.