Voyager Repower

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I recently installed a Suzuki 300 on my 99 voyager. Can anyone with the same setup tell me what hole you use on the engine for height. I currently have mine on the highest hole but it doesn’t seem right. Thanks in advance

Reactions: glacierbaze

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you don't get an answer, try posting on the Outboard Specialties section of the THT. I know they have done a couple Voyagers and might be able to tell you how to set it up.

Reactions: Grady311

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's a thread actually from family affair about the topic at hand. From looking at a few pictures of Grady White 248 Voyager's around your vintage on Google, it appears that most are in the top hole...

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What works for a Yamaha may not work for the Suzuki.
At some point I was considering repowering the 248 with a Suzuki. I had talked to Outboard Specialties and the person I spoke with had recently been involved with a 248 repower. They claimed to have "done a couple." At the time they kept records of what worked with different boats to save them time with set up. Could save the OP a headache.

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
If you don't get an answer, try posting on the Outboard Specialties section of the THT. I know they have done a couple Voyagers and might be able to tell you how to set it up.
Thank you

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What works for a Yamaha may not work for the Suzuki.
At some point I was considering repowering the 248 with a Suzuki. I had talked to Outboard Specialties and the person I spoke with had recently been involved with a 248 repower. They claimed to have "done a couple." At the time they kept records of what worked with different boats to save them time with set up. Could save the OP a headache.
I mean there are several different variables here, as well as with just about any scenario, including different years of outboards, different model numbers and so forth.

To the OP, what about your current setup doesn't seem right?

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Dealer installed a new 300 and we tried a few props . Both where not even close to the performance we where looking for . After talking to a few other dealers I found out that the diameter that my dealer was using was too small . 300 motors need to spin a 16 inch prop my dealer was using 15 and then 15 1/4 . While trying the second setup he raised the motor all the way up . We have since gone to a 16 x 17 prop which seems to get me good numbers . I am thinking the motor needs to come down . . As I run it the cavitation plate is about 2 inches in the water . The boat is cavitation good really bad at 4200 rpm

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What you are experiencing with the motor being too high is ventilation not cavitation. Two different things. If your dealer is taking care of the cost of trying out different props, then fine, but if you are being nicked for this experimentation then I would recommend calling Prop Gods.

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
My dealer is allowing me to swap props at no cost . He is working hard to make me happy but from what I understand this is a hard mode to get the setup right . I was just thinking that there must be someone on the group that has been through it and could give me some tips for the proper height

gradywhite248

Reaction score
My dealer is allowing me to swap props at no cost . He is working hard to make me happy but from what I understand this is a hard mode to get the setup right . I was just thinking that there must be someone on the group that has been through it and could give me some tips for the proper height
Let us know how it works out. I have the same boat and looking to repower and looking at the Suzuki 300 too. Installed does it include all gauges? and thinking of going wireless on the controls?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Considering my experience with that hull and the AP gearcase, I would leave the engine where it is mounted and find a Mercury Eco Enertia prop. They are magic. Pricey, but amazing. Ken might have one or go used.

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Let us know how it works out. I have the same boat and looking to repower and looking at the Suzuki 300 too. Installed does it include all gauges? and thinking of going wireless on the controls?

Grady311

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Yes the 300 only comes in fly by wire . Includes one SMG 4 gauge . I added a second one so I could display all the info I wanted at one time rather than scrolling through . I also had them linked to Nmea 2k so I could display on my Simrad

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I would recommend a 16x18 or 19 4 blade prop. The 4 blade on my Honda 250 made a huge difference. Same hull. Good luck, and talk to Ken at Prop Gods.