Voyager vs. Gulfstream

Morehead

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this forum and new to Grady although I've owned and enjoyed a number of other boats. I'm interested in opinion as to the differences between the Voyager anbd Gulfstream. Looks like the beam on Voyager is designed for trailering, which is not important to me. Intended use is run-about and some very little offshore fishing. All comments appreciated.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I love the Gulfstream cabin layout, but went with the Voyager for trailering. Depending on what you use the boat for, the cabin might only be used for the head and storage so the cabin layout might be insignificant. If you plan to play off the boat, the Voyager Euro-transome is a deal maker. I can't imagine not having it. The Voyager handling and ride are excellent when set up properly. The aft of the GS is likely better for fishing. The extra width makes the boat seam bigger, although I can't say I ever felt cramped on the Voyager. The last thing that comes to mind is the efficiency. A GS will likely cost a little more to operate since a wider boat of similar weight will need to push more water.

IMO if you mostly plan to fish and do overnights - Gulfstream.
Fish and play - Voyager.
Happy Hunting!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have never be out on a Gulfstream and can't comment on them but everything I have read and heard they are great boats.
I have a Voyager and can tell you I love it. Can trailer with no problem yet and legal.
You just have to weigh the pro's and con's and decide which is best for your needs. You would most likely be satisfied with either.
Let us know what you decide.
Thanks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My comment here is like GW VOYAGER'S, only in reverse.

I have a Gulfstream and love it. I have not been on a Voyager, but, I, too, have heard positive comments about them.

Since trailering isn't a factor with Morehead's choice, put that aside. Beam plays into the choice in other ways.

1.) Translates into more cockpit space in the Gulfstream.
2.) It will be a bit more stable on the drift with it's wider stance.
3.) It is easier to slip between the helm and passenger chairs as you go forward toward the cabin or helm. The narrower Voyager will cause all but the skinniest people to have to turn a bit sideways to get between them. Maybe not a deal-breaker either way, but it is inconvienent.
4.) The narrower beam of the Voyager may give it an edge in a head or quartering sea. I don't know firsthand, but I've fished with a friend on a Journey 258 and his boat rode a little better than my Gulfstream due to the narrower beam. I suspect the Voyager may have a similar advantage.
5.)Family Affair may be right about the Gulfstream burning a little more fuel due to the wider beam. Mine has twin 200 four-strokes and I get 1.9 to 2.1 MPG at between 29 and 33 MPH. I would guess a Voyager with twin 150's would net close to 3 MPG or a little more.

I think GW VOYAGER is right. You'd be happy with either choice.

Morehead

Reaction score
Thanks all. Very helpful. Good comments and nice to see no big hole in either program. Now I've got to find one to buy.

seasnake

Reaction score
I love my voyager . I live in California and bought my 96 voyager used from Florida in near mint condition for $17000 it has a single yamaha SWS two 250 and runs great. The fit between the helm chairs is a bit narrow so I took the arm rests off the captains chairs and that made it much better. lots of fishing room I do a lot of crabbing in Ca I can get 10 crab traps in the cockpit easy . I tow my boats so the 8.6 beam was a must . She tows very easy behind the Ford F250 , I had a Nissan Titan before that and it towed pretty good also .

grady23

Reaction score
I have a '97 Gulfstream. Had the boat since 2002 as the second owner. To date, I haven't had any issues with trailering where beam is a problem. I do stay away from bridges where they use of lazer measuring devices are installed. I could easily pay the additional monies, but don't want to be held up 2-3 hrs waiting to cross. The best part of the laypout is the clean/clear cockpit area. The bunks are "OK" for a nap, but not real comfortable for over-night. PS -- The top bunk is not real good for a large person.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady 23 - in some states trailering anything wider than 8ft 6in. applies restrictions to ban such trailering altogether on certain days of the week or holidays, or hours of a day unlike if it was maxed at 8ft 6in. Weather or not a law is enforced is for each of us to decide what-if when making such an investment with a no-return policy.

The grady product like takes the 20 ft walkaround and extends its length to 22, 24, and even 26 ft (Islander) all at similar beam all trailerable (legally). The so called wide beam models begin at the Gulfstream where it is basically a shortened Sailfish. Unlike the Sailfish, the Gulf can do fine on one motor most left the factory as singles, same for Islander and shorter narrower beam models.
Gulf and Sailfish cockpits/bridges are similar, big big difference in cabin.

Twin motor equipped boats as options over singles are much more expensive and have higher fuel and double maintenace costs, twice as many things to go broke, and double the replacements costs when the time comes for new power.

Just remember, there is always a bigger boat to buy.