VRO Oil Tank Line ID?

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Hello All!
Looking for a little bit of help. I've searched thru the archives and on the web, all to no avail.
Please see photo.
This is one of the two tanks we have feeding 97 rude 175 carb motors. We had the motors running for a good 30 minutes before purchasing the project boat with their mechanic on hand to ensure everything was working on the motors.

During our work the other evening, we found a line coming off each VRO tank pushed thru the transom of the boat with a bolt capping the end of it off. The other VRO oil tank is done the same way. If you look closely at the pic, the oil line, primer bulb, are routed to the motors. The line in question is located directly behind the left hand portion of the oil primer bulb and you can see the bolt with a hose clamp capping it off in the foreground.

Can anyone enlighten me to what these lines are suppose to do and if they should be capped off like this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• VRO Oil Tank.jpeg
    VRO Oil Tank.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 817

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Much better pic.
The line on top of photo goes to primer bulb, then thru line out to motor.
The line at bottom of photo is plugged off and goes ???????

Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• VRO oil tank 1.jpeg
    VRO oil tank 1.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 810

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is just a wild guess as I'm not familiar with that oil injection system, but, it looks as though the plugged line may have been the original oil line to the engine. Somewhere along the line, something went screwy with the original oil pump (is it in the tank?) and was replaced with the new, square-shaped one.

suzukidave

Reaction score
i think that second line is an oil return hose line that is used if you have a ficht motor.

i have seen tanks like that before. it is not modified.

Newtgadget

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.t-c-pro.com
Re: VRO Oil Tank Line ID?.....Resolved!!

suzukidave said:
i think that second line is an oil return hose line that is used if you have a ficht motor.

i have seen tanks like that before. it is not modified.

Suzukidave,

You hit the nail on the head! After reading your reply, I did some quick searching on the ol inter web on Ficht motors and you are absolutely correct! Thank you.

It makes perfect sense now as the original owner had Fichts rigged on the boat. Removed them and upgraded to the present 97 Rude carb'd motors which do not require an oil line return from the motor. Tons of articles out there on guys installing Fichts trying to route their return line to an oil tank without the return fitting such as the one I had in question.....lol

I am so grateful to have found this forum and to everyones willingness to provide their knowledge and feedback!

Thank You!