VSR question

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi fellas,

Redoing battery config finally. Setup will be two isolated group 24's, one for each engine, starter and alternator, there will be nothing else attached except one bilge pump per. I am replacing the two group 27's with new as a true house bank where everything else will draw. ProMariner20+ has three leads to charge each "bank" on shore power or genny.

Is there any rule disallowing me from adding a VSR to each starter that would lead to the house bank?

I troll for salmon on the mains by shutting one engine down at a time, and I swap every two hours or so. Would like the house to benefit from being charged during both periods of charging. I'm thinking there is no reason to avoid it as batteries are batteries and the VSR sensors (True) have some protections.

What say you? Hoping to wrap this up this week for a Fathers Day float.

Thx

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So you have a starter battery for each motor and a separate House bank.

I just did that setup on mine. If you have Yamahas with Aux charing wires you don't need the VSRs.
See my post about 265 battery config.

Your Yamaha might not have the extra wires in the cable but might still have the Aux charging output.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Skunkboat! I’m familiar with your 265 mods. I’ll look into it for sure.

Still looking for the answer to the question if a house bank can be charged by two VSR’s in my setup.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Found my answer, yes!

I think I see it is Starboard motor that ends up being common ground... any input on grounding?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Not sure I get what you mean about Starboard motor ends up as common ground.

Common ground is "common" to all negative terminals.

I believe this is what you want to do?Your House would be two DC27s in parallel.
bSj4iI6l.jpg

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes SkunkBoat, that's exactly what I'm headed for. I've solved the charging issue from the motors with VSR's (that I had already purchased or else I'd go toward your recommendation of using the engines to also charge house). Both isolated starting batteries have a VSR that opens to the house so under engine charging will top off the house now. But I've run into another issue now...

I'm just off the phone with ProMariner about my Prosport 20+ charging error message. I have individual start batteries labeled 1 and 2 "bank", individual Group 24. The 3rd "bank" is the house which consists of two Group 27's in parallel. Promariner instructions say that there is one lead specifically for charging the starter battery (which would be battery 1 or 2 in my system), and each of the three charging leads from the charger to the banks need to be connected to only one battery. I'm getting a red "error" light on bank two, which I haven't traced yet and will do this afternoon. After discussing the situation with the tech at Promariner, they felt the amperage may be too high in my "house" bank with two batteries of Group 27. I'm not an electrician at all, but I was thinking that two batteries in parallel are functionally one battery in the eyes of anything connected to them...

He suggested a different charger that would fit my system, but it's not waterproof. My charger is installed in the aft compartment near the generator which isn't supposed to be wet, per se, but I wouldn't categorize it as "dry" either!

Anyone want to comment on this setup and how they charge their setup from shore power/generator? I'd hate to have to rely on the mains to constantly keep my house bank charged for overnights on multi-day trips, but I suppose it's possible. Would rather charge off the genny.

What am I missing, and is there a waterproof three bank charger out there that will accommodate my larger house "bank"?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a prosport20+. my house is two DP24s in parallel...no errors.
you've seen the diagram of my setup?
The "start battery only" wire goes to Bat1(stbd motor) on mine.

Maybe your house is way low or all are low and it can't handle it. Try charging just the house for a night and see if it works with all after that.

Make sure you are not combining batteries with your switches.

Also, your parallel house batteries should be the same age/brand/type.
When connecting the charge wire, connect to neg of one house and pos of the other. I know it doesn't seem like much but the wire between parallel Bats can effect how the charger senses need for charge.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
SOLVED!!!

One set of charger leads had corroded near the in-line fuse. I found this out as I pulled apart the cover to inspect the fuse and the wire literally fell out in my hand with white powder the only evidence of copper wire.

Recall PO only used two of the leads (although Promariner recommends all leads be attached to a battery, even in a two bank setup). This lead was in the bottom of the battery box gently wrapped (not tight) with electricians tape. Connectors looked fine, but evidently the storage low in that compartment allowed moisture to creep in for 10 years and destroy it.

Refurbished the end of those leads with fresh fuses and viola! Error lights gone, all green lights, and 13.4V charging all three banks. My VSR lights even popped on showing the charge from the house had opened the gate (or closed the gap) to the house.

Also of note: the tech at ProMariner insisted that each lead could only be connected to ONE battery, and he said my system of house bank would never work with the two house batteries in parallel. This didn't make any sense to me at the time. I thought of the leads as garden hoses trickling volt water at 20 amps max per hour, and the charger didn't care whether the pool was backyard or indoor olympic, as long as it was 12V and chargeable. Anyway I was fully prepared to not have the third lead charge my two paralleled grp 27's based on his insistence. In fact it works fine (of course)!

Thanks for your patience. Now I just need to figure out what instruments PO tied to the house bank leads vs the starting battery/bilge pump leads.... :-|

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Angler Management said:
Also of note: the tech at ProMariner insisted that each lead could only be connected to ONE battery, and he said my system of house bank would never work with the two house batteries in parallel. This didn't make any sense to me at the time. I thought of the leads as garden hoses trickling volt water at 20 amps max per hour, and the charger didn't care whether the pool was backyard or indoor olympic, as long as it was 12V and chargeable. Anyway I was fully prepared to not have the third lead charge my two paralleled grp 27's based on his insistence. In fact it works fine (of course)!

I am 99.9% sure that the instructions in the box described how to connect the charger to parallel batteries.

Anyways...Congrats!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
SkunkBoat said:

I am 99.9% sure that the instructions in the box described how to connect the charger to parallel batteries.

Anyways...Congrats!

I think you're correct. Their online product guide mentions having all three leads hooked up, each to one battery, with no taboo about what the battery amp hours are. I assume as do many that two batteries in parallel are essentially one battery.

Anyhoo....