VST inspected

seasick

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and finally opened my VST tanks to have a look see.

First, I drained the fuel in the tank using the drain plug. It was clear and free from particulates.
After unbolting the tank and removing the tank screws, I was pleased to find that there was no sediment or gunk in the bottom of the tank. The filter was like new, no goo, no stains, etc. (It has been at least 3 years since the tank was opened).
The other good news was that the rubber gasket was not swollen and went back into it's grove without issue.
There have been many posts about working on the tank. I suggest that you place a paper towel under and around the tank just in case a screw drops. I learned this the hard way. One screw dropped and slid down a channel into the mid shaft cowling. I had to remove the cowling but was lucky that the screw was resting on the casting edge and had not fallen down the lower cowling.
I closed everything up and covered the boat for the winter but now I am a bit concerned about leaving the VST tank empty. The pump and filter may be more prone to corrosion than when left dry than when submerged in fuel.
Any opinions?

catch22

Reaction score
Actually, in the maintenance section of the Yamaha owners manual, under "storing outboard motor", it says - "Drain the remaining gasoline from the VST".

SlimJim

Reaction score
I always used a bowl under the screw when I would drain the VST tank. That way you can just let the gas and the screw fall into the bowl. I always had a rag close by as well.

seasick

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Actually, in the maintenance section of the Yamaha owners manual, under "storing outboard motor", it says - "Drain the remaining gasoline from the VST".

Great, now i can sleep at night

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good news.

How many hours did you do in those three years?

And are you using any stabilizer with fill ups?

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
I always used a bowl under the screw when I would drain the VST tank. That way you can just let the gas and the screw fall into the bowl. I always had a rag close by as well.

I wonder where you got technique from JIMBO, LOL

SlimJim

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
SlimJim said:

DON'T EVEN ASK!!! lol :lol:

seasick

Reaction score
BobP said:
Good news.

How many hours did you do in those three years?

And are you using any stabilizer with fill ups?

I figure about 60 to 80 hrs a season or 180 to 240 hrs total. I do not use stabilizers during the boating season and add only for winter storage, I do add Ring Free at a ratio of 1 oz to 10 gal gas.
I haven't replaced the motor fuel filter either in three years. I will this year as it is starting to show some debris on the inner filter folds. I do replace my 10u Yami filter each year AFTER I start the motor and burn off the winter storage fogging fluid.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
JUST-IN-TIME said:
SlimJim said:

DON'T EVEN ASK!!! lol :lol:

OH

i will not, cuz i already know, LOL