VST - Maintenance??

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Saw on a thread here that the VST should be done every year. Does it apply to 2-strokes, 4-strokes, or both? Is it an automatic replacement every year, or simply an inspection? Where is it located on an S225 OX-66? Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
I talked to a Yamaha mechanic about this issue. He said that a symptom of VST issues is that the motor runs fine at low RPMs but starts to bog down as RPMs are increased. He didn't have a specific maintenance interval for the tank. I have not opened mine yet. I do look at the water/crud collection tube on the bottom but I hesitate to take the tank apart if I don't have issues. I am on one of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" people. Tha't not to say that I don't do maintenance. I do the usual things. That said, I don't change water pumps if the tattletale strem is still strong. I don't change thermostats if the engine wars up both sides and doesn't run hot. I do regularly change oils, plugs and filters.
I am sure that many others will dissagree with my approach. My SX150 is 8 years old.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but thought vst was to be serviced every 200 hrs, there is a small filter inside, you need new gaskets and such, it comes as a kit. I have it done every 200 by the dealer. I do the 100 hr maintenance myself and the dealer does every 200 and tunes it, I don't recall the price alone since I have other work always done along with it, but on my older boat we had to replace it midseason and I believe it was around $75.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My dealer said every year or no later than 2 yrs, didn't mention hrs, but the longer I stood there, the more and more I could have been in for, if you know what I mean. So I got out quick!

And we have ethanol up here, I hear in FLA - no such recommendation is given.

My plan is every 2 yrs, I'm less than 100 hrs per yr.
Perhaps the new style filters will last longer.

Bebo

Reaction score
I just checked one of my engines last month, I have had the boat four years and never serviced it. The filter was spotless but there was a lot of rust on the fuel pump that was beginning to fall in the bottom of the VST tank. I think I'll just drain the other one.

mronzo

Reaction score
The owners manual for my 200 OX-66 SWSII says every 3 years.
After 7 years my port engine had symptoms. I replaced the VST filter on both engines to know they were good. I've read the ethanol in the gas
'rots" the filter membrane and restricts flow causing the VST filters to wear faster. Cleaning them gets limited results for a limited time so while it's apart just replace it so you only have to do it one time!
Retail you can pay as much as $120 for a little plastic POS! It's not a hard job just tedious. Good luck!