VST

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday picking up filters. I asked the certified Yamaha mechanic about cleaning the VST. He said no need to touch it unless a fuel pump problem exists. They dont open them up for routine maintainance. Too many parts and things that can go wrong with taking apart. Its a very expensive pump and he said don't touch it.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I was getting free advise I thought I should ask about the corrosion problems with the exhaust on the earlier 225's. He said he has not seen any corrosion problems with any of the Yamaha's. I am in NY so maybe the salinity level is lower than other states?

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
WOW that's alot more work then what it was for my 200 HPDI's. That person also did a nice job with the pictoral.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Its not that hard to do and it does have a filter on the end of the pump that does need to be replace from time to time. So sooner or later you will need to change that filter. Some change it every 100 hours and some every 300 hours. If you are not having any problems I would look it over every few years or 300 hours. It can be a pain if you are not careful.

gw204

Reaction score
Lainie J said:
Since I was getting free advise I thought I should ask about the corrosion problems with the exhaust on the earlier 225's. He said he has not seen any corrosion problems with any of the Yamaha's. I am in NY so maybe the salinity level is lower than other states?

My understanding is that it isn't something that's easy to find. Do a search on THT. Lots of info about it there lately.

seasick

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Its not that hard to do and it does have a filter on the end of the pump that does need to be replace from time to time. So sooner or later you will need to change that filter. Some change it every 100 hours and some every 300 hours. If you are not having any problems I would look it over every few years or 300 hours. It can be a pain if you are not careful.

The vst issue is overplayed in my opinion. Usually a blocked VST filter shows itself as a loss of power at higher RPMs. In other words, you get a warning but can still run at a reasonable speed back home.

I just took a lokk at mine, after 3 years and the tank was perfectly clean and the filter looked new. I was also lucky that the rubber ring gasket reinstalled without a hitch. Heck, it $40 for the gasket alone.

SlimJim

Reaction score
seasick said:
SlimJim said:

The vst issue is overplayed in my opinion. Usually a blocked VST filter shows itself as a loss of power at higher RPMs. In other words, you get a warning but can still run at a reasonable speed back home.

I just took a lokk at mine, after 3 years and the tank was perfectly clean and the filter looked new. I was also lucky that the rubber ring gasket reinstalled without a hitch. Heck, it $40 for the gasket alone.
yes that ring gasket is $$ don't get any gas on it or you will have to buy a new one. The HPDI's are the engines that have the most issues from what I can tell. That filter has a very fine mesh and almost anything can plug it. Still that being said, its something you can do at the dock if you have to change it. Not really that hard to do.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's not so easy to do at the dock primarily in case you drop one of the many tiny screws and other tiny pieces to get the tank parted.

I prefer to have zero issues at dock during season, so this is a preventive action for me.

My HPDI VST filters were plugged when I pulled them in the Spring, never had an issue while running previous season at any RPM, I suspect the fuel sitting in VST tank during off season layup caused most of it. No rust or any debris found in VST tank.

Now I will drain the VST tanks before winter, and only used Blue Stabil all season past, no Starton this past year. Crappy weather season used motors less than 50 hrs.
Then come Spring I will pull filters to check to see if any different.
Will use gumout spray to clean filter media if it needs it.

If you hire this out, forget about asking to clean filter, the labor mhrs is intensive (relatively speaking vs. filter price) so they will change filter at same labor costs.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
every 500hrs needs to be replaced!!

just like the oil in the HPDI PUMPS, but they justed changed that to 3 years!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The F225 looks like twice as much work as the HPDI or OX66 to get at the filter, makes sense in longer interval.

mronzo

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with it unless the engine starts acting up with the usual VST filter symptoms. Then when it's time to replace it, REPLACE IT! Don't clean it because it will crap up again fast due to the ethanol in the gas.
Just cleaning it will just give you practice for when you replace it!