WA, CC or DC for family/fishing use?

gw204

Reaction score
The admiral and I are starting to look at our options for a multi-purpose rig in the 21' to 24' range. Primary uses will be general cruising around, tubing, anchoring for swimming and fishing the Chesapeake Bay. With these activities in mind we are trying to decide which layout would be best. I am currently leaning towards a walkaround or center console, and she like the dual console layout where there is a head inside the port console.

I like the walkround around for the storage provided by the cabin, protection from the weather when combined with a hard/bimini top and enclosure (I will be fishing March through Dec) and it is going to provide the most shaded space for the kids during the summer months. However, the narrow beam in this size range does create somewhat of a cramped help area when you have kids running in and out of the cabin. That's something we found to be annoying even on our old 9'6" beam Sailfish.

She likes the dual console for the bow seating and the enclosed head for obvious reasons. Weather protection isn't a huge concern for her because she a fair weather boater, but I would want a hard/bimini top and enclosure as well for early/late season fishing.

I thought the CC might work for us because it really does provide the most seating of all three layouts (bow seating, console, leaning post and jumps seats at the stern) and still has the enclosed head. T-top would be a must. I had a 204F in the past, but it didn't work that well for us due to the lack of a walk-in console and I think that has turned her off of that design.

Anyway, I was hoping that you guys could share you thoughts and experiences on the various layouts in this size range for this type of use. Thanks.

BTW - What year did Grady start putting the head in the port console on the 225? 2003?

seasick

Reaction score
If the admiral wants some place to change clothes, the CC won't be a good fit. Same goes for most duals. Your interests are quite broad and there is no one magical solution. There is no doubt that a CC is best for fishing but a dual is attractive for fishing and sunning. If you have children, the CC is out I would think.
If not having a place to change or lay down or stow a ton of crap is not a deal breaker, I would lean towards a dual console. You may also want to take into account the 'wetness' of any vessel you might chose. You may be a fair weather boater but there will always be times when you might get wet.
Get to the boat shows and talk to others.
It isn't easy:)
Good luck

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
IMO I think it is a little crazy to own a CC anywhere but the south. As seasick mentioned, you will get wet and the water is going to be cold for many months you want to fish. The WA works for the criteria we have (similar to yours), but you have already stated your frustration with the sailfish, so you might need to compromise.

I like the DC layout, but I have had waves break over the rail on the WA when caught in bad weather. I would have dirty shorts if that happened on DC!

Tashmoo

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that DC's function very well as an all-around platform. I have owned DC's for 19 years and fish mine hard (ca 250 engine hours per year) switching between fly fishing or trolling for bass and bluefish or trolling, jigging or live lining for tuna. It does all well and in the spring and fall with the bimini up and side canvas and center walkthrough canvas in place it is very comfortable. As for protection I have had my 27' out in 5 - 6' seas with the canvas up and stayed dry and very comfortable. With the canvas off you have the dual console to ride behind and with the center window closed the configuration is warm on a cool day. The boat really excels for family time with plenty of useful comfortable seating the head and plenty of storage space. Respectfully, I do not agree that CC's have more seating and certainly not more useful seating.

The issue to consider about DC's is the amount that you are willing to spend and the boats that will be available in your price range. Above 22' there is not a large inventory of DC's on the market. GW introduced the 275 Tournament in 07 the only DC over 22' in the market at the time and those boats if you can find them are going for the mid-fifties or low sixties at best. The GW 25' DC just came out so there is no used market only new. If you are planning to buy new no problem, if used your choice will be 22' or 27'.

GulfSea

Reaction score
FWIW, I had the opportunity to go out with some friends last week in a CC. The boat was great but we froze our #$#$'s off! And this is on the west coast of FL. The whole time, I couldn't help but wish I were in my little Grady WA. I agree the beam could be wider but being a year round' and foul weather fisherman, there's no way I would want a CC.

gw204

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

Budget will be somewhere in the $30K range so I will not be shopping new and I am not looking to really go any bigger than 22' or so. We want something that I can trailer locally with my Jeep Cherokee (please don't tell me the Jeep can't do it...I know what it's capable of). :)

The 204 Fisherman I had was a great boat up here. I fished that thing from March through end of December in temps as low as the upper 20s. The only thing it lacked was an enclosed head for the wife. Sure it would have been better w/ canvas that ran from the t-top to the gunwales, but the front and side curtains around just the console kept me out of the weather pretty well. Can't say so much for my passengers though...but they were passengers and didn't pay for the top so their opinions didn't matter. :D

gw204

Reaction score
Looks descent, but a little much to lug around with a 4.0 liter inline 6 and short wheelbase.

The F225 doesn't exactly excite me either with all the recent talk of exhaust corrosion. I would much prefer an OX66 or a Merc.

gw204

Reaction score
Well, the wife says the CC is definitely out. She wants no part of that one again. So, I guess we're talking WA vs. DC now...

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was in a similar position a few years ago and settled on the WA 282. Every one has tradeoffs, but one thing that you will regret is if the wife or kids (not sure if this applies) turn sour on you. I think the WAs are the best compromise. If you can get a porta potty or better yet head, if you can get a cabin to get out of the weather and change in, if you can get a hard top or bimini to get out of the sun - you likely will meet most of their needs. It does get cold, there is rain and waves can bust over the bow.

If I went with a CC, I likely would be boatless at this point. The WA is probably the best fit, followed by the DC and then the CC - although in a guy's mind it is probably CC, CC and CC..... Good luck!

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In the 22' size range I think you have to take a look at the difference between "enclosed head" and "usable enclosed" head. In most of the DC boats, the head are is so cramped it doesn't really seem user friendly. Maybe OK for the wife and kids. At least with a WAC, you can close the cabin door, move some cushions and have some room to work with.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have fished on a few CCs, but no DCs.

Can say that we have almost 1600hrs under power on our 2002 Islander 270 and it is one heck of a boat. Sure I'd love to have a Marlin, but many times just grateful for the one we have.

In any case, Brian, I wish you the best of luck in your search for the right vessel.

Brian

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too had a great 4 plus years on my 2003 Islander 270 and now have a 2005 Marlin 300. (Someone stole my Islander motors and I was able to make lemonade out of lemons!) and moved up! The walkarounds are very comfortable and dry and do well in bad weather. I have a wife and 3 daughters and the cabin and head is a life saver. They all love the boat. I would love a CC but love the storage and overall comfort of the walkaround make it a great family boat! Keep the women happy and your boating will increase!

Rob

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree keep the wife and woman happy if she is stuck on loving the DC then go there. I would definitely not go for a CC in your position. I just got a WA mainly for the kids and wife. Cabin is a life saver as others have said. Especially if you get caught in a quick rain squall. Have her look closely at the WA too.

gw204

Reaction score
I think Bob's Cay hit the nail on the head. If the enclosed head is usable, that will probably be the route we take (as long as I can get a hardtop w/in a year or so). But if it's even the slightest bit cramped, I'm going to push for the walkaround.

No hardtop = no dual console for me.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have had both the dual and WA and like many have said the DC is a great all around boat especially in nice weather. I now own a 228 and the only.complaint I have is the beam issue, but with that said I like how we can button up tight when the nice weather turns. I respect others here with a 27 foot DC and we loved it and took it for a sea trial, bit you are looking for a 22 footer so there is no comparison really.

The 228 is perhaps the suv of boats. My kids ages now 10 to 15 still use the cabin eapecially at rest or while we are trolling, the boat's layout is perhaps one of Grady's best use of limites cockpit space. The hardtop gives extra storage space and extra rod holders too. In the end you need to do what is best for you.

gw204

Reaction score
I would like to see the transom on the 228 redesigned to match what is on the 225. I think that layout works better for both fishing and seating.

But I can't afford a new 228, so it really doesn't matter what I would like to see... :lol:

Bill_N

Reaction score
I had an Edgewater 20 DC for almost 10 years that served us well. There was a porta-potti in a well just forward of the windshield that served it's purpose. Might seem kind of weird but it was better to me than being inside a small console. As far as changing the girls would hold up towels for each other and it worked out fine.

One of the guys on my dock now has a bow dodger on his CC with a drop curtain on it that his family uses for this purpose. I'm not a big fan of CC's for other reasons but it works for them.

There's a '98 22 DC in the classifieds that sounds like a nice family boat.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian,

With your talent, you could make the stern of a 228 into anything you want! Good luck boat shopping.

Bob