WA, CC or DC for family/fishing use?

gw204

Reaction score
Bob's Cay said:
Brian,

With your talent, you could make the stern of a 228 into anything you want! Good luck boat shopping.

Bob

Thanks Bob...but the wife said "no projects". Fortunately, what I heard her say was "no projects...until the Mako is usable". :lol:

GulfSea

Reaction score
A little follow up experience from the last 2 days in my 228. According to the Yamaha Command gauge, we logged in nearly 250 miles in 2 days. Each morning the temps were 38-39 degrees and 52-55 degrees in the afternoon with winds approx 10 mph overall although they did kick up around noon yesterday making things interesting 18 miles out. But anyway, with full canvass up we could not have had a better time. We caught pretty much all reef fish you can imagine, all comfortably throughout the day. I've had this thing for about 1 year and am completely satisfied with her performance.

Here's a good gauge to use as you search which type of boat to get. My friend who flies in and fishes with me now and then is the full twin engine, center console die-hard that wouldn't normally even consider a walk-around. Yesterday, about 12 miles or so out with temps not quite 40 yet, I asked him if he would still get a CC? His answer as he looked around...as our conversation was going on with near silence at the warm helm running 30 plus MPH..... nope. We were dry, warm and comfortable out in the middle of the Gulf at the end of December. All this while getting 2.5 - 2.8 MPG and with a smooth ride and great fishing platform waiting for the next reef.

We saw others out in the CC's as we came back through the pass. Everyone bundled up with bulky coats, hats and gloves...... if you're a fair weather fisherman/boater, CC's are great. But if you use it year round' as I do, you'll want something with protection from the elements.