Wacky currents through the bilge pump/switch - Marlin 2001

mas

Reaction score
I finally came victim to a faulty pump switch which got stuck in the on position leading to a dead battery.

I was preparing the boat the night before a run and found the main DC power to be dead. I plugged in the AC charger and saw a circuit fault warning and the house bank would not charge - the motor batteries were charging fine. I cleaned terminals, checked wiring, etc. but to no avail. Interestingly, I saw wacky things happing like LED's lighting up on the helm switch panel even though it was off. After taking the batteries out of circuit and charging them with a car charger and reinstalling them fully charged, it became apparent that the aft bilge pump was whirring and after banging the rule plus switch in the side, it shut up and all of a sudden my boat was back to normal. The AC charger worked, no more wacky lights, etc. Made the fishing trip on a gorgeous day but unfortunately the striped bass wound up in everyone elses boats.

Bilge pump/switch problems are not new but I was wondering about the wacky indicator lights and charger symptoms with the bilge switch stuck on. Could this indicate a more substantial problem? Do I need to add an isolator to the circuit?

mas

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the bilge pump is running, the light indicates as such, irrespective of what is turning on the pump.

mas

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply - I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. It was lights on other switches - livewell, running lights, etc...

bc282

Reaction score
mas, i think boats that are in that vintage of 2000-2003; mine is 2002, are coming up on the time where inferior electrical material and connections start to fail and go buggy. Unfortunately lots of Grady electrical wire and connectors are not of the highest marine quality and it is about this time especially in the salt water conditions that they can fail. Nothing lasts forever, but had better wire and connectors been chosen initially, i think these kind of problems would creep up much later.

i know it's a PITA to inspect and clean bilge pumps and switches, but you have reminded me that it's something that just gotta be done.

seabob4

Reaction score
I have seen this many times on many different makes of boats. It is a ground problem, plain and simple. What is happening as you have a bad ground SOMEWHERE and the current back to the batt is searching for a path...whatever path it can find! This explains other lights coming on even though the appliances aren't turned on.

Have you inspected the condition of your wiring lately? Do so, and you will probably see the dreaded "black" wire, which is corrosion. I highly reccommend it... :shock: