Wahoo inboard

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have seen pics of the vessel Wahoo an inboard Grady with shaft and tunnel. Can anyone tell me more about these boats ? looks like they were ahead of their time. That could sell really well in Australia.

wahooie

Reaction score
Wahoo

Hi Jekyl,
I Have a Wahoo . I purchased it a little over a year ago with future intentions of installing a cummins 6bta , as of this post I have only been able to freshen up the existing merc 350 with new external components so that i may use the boat as i collect the parts req. for the swap.
I'm not sure what you would like to know about the boat but if i can be of any help just ask .
I can tell you that these boats are hard to find as I looked for a decent restoration candidate for about a year and a half .

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what are the dimensions and weight of this hull and what are the performance numbers with the current power?

Due to the fuel prices here we are seeing an increasing number of inboard diesels (usually with a leg) and although i have recently repowered with 4 strokes. I wondered quite seriously at the time how a single diesel would work. Mine is 9ft + wide and weights 9,000lbs loaded.

What speeds and fuel burn are you expecting with the Cummins? Which by the way would be my first choice of diesel power.

wahooie

Reaction score
Wahoo Diesel

Hi Jekyl,
Sorry for the delay in my reply..busy couple of weeks. In regards to your question about the weight, with a Cummins it would be approximately 1,000 lbs lighter than your current setup. This is just a best guess as I haven't been able to weigh the boat & I have had trouble finding exact weight info. As for dimensions, I can tell you it is the same as my previous Grady (1986 25' Sailfish). The info on that model is a little easier to come by online than the Wahoo. Also, the whole setup & layout of the Wahoo vs. the Sailfish is exactly the same other than:
the motorbox placement, live well (Wahoo doesn't have a live well between the seats like the Sailfish) and Wahoo has dual fuel tanks.
You asked about speed & fuel burn.. I joined boatdiesels.com and they have calculators that will tell you that exact information. (My calculations on that site say just a bit over 400hp will net me 40mph..hmm some may think that is excessive but everyone is entitled to their opinion). :lol:

Regarding performance numbers with current power: I will get back to you with those numbers as I haven't had a chance to take the boat out yet due to the birth of my "First Mate".

High hopes of a shakedown cruise in the next month or so. I will be sure to update you and post some pictures.