Wahoo pictures (Grady's straight inboard model)

Wahoo

Reaction score
Deleted this pic as it's not showing up on my computer. Imagecave seems to work. Why are the pictures so big though.... :shock:

Wahoo

Reaction score
Trying that imagecave.com as pics fom other site I use not showing...

propeller.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
Ah, Gradys and Rangers. It don't get much better than that!!!!! :D

The day I picked up my 204 Fisherman. Pulled it from Yorktowne, VA to Pasadena, MD behind a '97 Ranger extended cab 4x4. 4.0, 5-speed, 3.73 gears. Loved that little truck......

pickupday2.jpg

greyg8r

Reaction score
What is that white hose held on with a hose clamp? If that were to break/fall off, what would happen? Looks a little precarious to me.

Okay, I give up, how does one put a 7000# boat on jackstands?

I would really recommend replacing those nylon thru-hulls with chromed bronze or stainless steel immediately. Yours look like the originals.

I have often thought how long, reasonably, can I keep my 1989 25 Sailfish and have it still looking good. The answer is a lot longer, based on boats like your Wahoo.

Brian, I have sour memories of the Ranger. I owned one, a 1985 long bed 4x4 auto with the older, smaller 2.9l along with a current 1989 Bronco II with a 2.9l. Both were way underpowered. Bothhad small cabins, IMO. I know they use a bigger engine now. I much prefer a F150 4x4.

Richard

Wahoo

Reaction score
Richard, you have good eyes, or an extremely large monitor.... :lol:

Took me a minite to figure out the hose comment. That white hose is just sitting in there as I was draining some fuel, I have bronze pipe plugs for those 2 drains. Good point on the thru hulls though, that's a project that's on the top of my list!

89's a fine year. Should have plenty of life left in her! And it's amazing what a little elbow grease and wax can do for these hulls.

25models3.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
Richard, interesting you say those things about the Ranger/BroncoII. Did you have the auto in your trucks.

I've had 4 Rangers: a 1990 regular cab XLT 4x2, a 1989 super cab STX 4x2, a 1997 supercab STX 4x4 and a 1999 subercab XLT 4x4. The '89 and '90 both had the 2.9 and 5 speed but one with 3.54 gears, the other with 3.73s. I never though either was low on power....even after I lifted the '90 five inches and went from 22570R14s to 30x9.50s. :D

I did however start losing coolant in the '90 after it turned 100K and I never did find out why. Had the heads pulled/magnafluxed and got a clean bill of health. In hind sight, I probably should have just put on the World Products heads as I still think the issue was in the heads and the shop just didn't find it. Those 2.9 heads are notorious for cracking.....

The '97 and the '99 both had the 4.0, speed and 3.73 gears. They were pretty good runners too, but in stock form I think my '90 could have taken them.

I outran many people with that little 2.9 in my '90 before I lifted it and changed the tires. Then I just started running things over...... :D

Had a 5.0 on hand and ready to rebuild when I traded the '90. :wink:

But none of them could keep up with the 4.0 Cherokee I bought.

greyg8r

Reaction score
Brian,

Yes, both the Ranger and Bronco II had / have autos. I picked up my 17 Whaler from a seller in Miami (200 miles away) with my Bronco II. I couldn't go the speed limit on the interstate, maybe 60 - 65 tops. Just flat out underpowered. I don't know what the gearing is.

Agree that the Cherokee 4.0 has plenty of power. Probably never should have sold that (although it would be 11 years old now).

Now, I tow my boats with a diesel Excursion.

Richard

Harrydp

Reaction score
Wahoo,

I also have a 1981 Wahoo straight inboard. Not many of us around. I've had mine for 13 years and just repowered it with a Mercruiser 350 MPI Horizon. Great boat can't beat it.