wake boarding behind a 232 Gulfstream; connection points?

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on pulling a wakeboard behind our 232. We just got our 232 a few weeks ago and found out that our tow harness (the rig that connects to both ends of the stern of the boat, and then to the ski rope) would not reach the connection points. With the extra wide width of the 232 plus the twin motors on the bracket, I purchased a 12 foot tow harness thinking that would work.

While at the marina, I tried to hook up the new tow harness only to find out that is was about 6-inches short. While doing so, one of the dock hands, suggested that we forget about connecting to the transom connections and attach the tow harness to the hardtop of the Grady. They said that by doing so, it would make it easier for the wakeboard rider to pull them self up, others listening to the conversation agreed.

I spoke to a friend today about this suggestion, and he was concerned that the hard top of the Grady was not strong enough to pull wakeboards, etc.

I was thinking the hard top of the Grady was as strong, if not stronger, than the ski boats that have the towers designed for pulling wakeboarders, water skiers, etc.

I would very much appreciate input in regards to this matter.

Ric

Suffok VA
2008; 232 Gulfstream with twin 150's

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
I can't speak in great detail about a factory grady hardtop but i think most guys here are gonna steer you away from that idea. The grady hardtops are pretty sturdy but they are not meant for this kind of stress. The biggest problem is that you are going to be putting a lot of strain on a small area of the top (the anchor point), and as with anything made out of fiberglass- a lot of pressure on a small area is never a good idea. If you could come up with some sort of installation where that pressure was dispersed over a bigger area I think you'd be better off. Also, its gonna be a lot easier to exchange the tow rope for one that fits than to take on this project!

... I'm sure someone else will have more specifics about the grady hardtops but thats just my thought considering my own aftermarket hardtop. Happy boarding this summer!! :wink:

tiderunner

Reaction score
This is not that hard.

Just modify the existing harnes you have. Got to local hardware store but some aircraft cable and U-clamps. You allready have the rest of the equipment you need. It should not cost you any more than $20 to do this .

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I got the ski pylon on my new 225 and it is one massive pole of metal! I wouldn't fool with the hardtop set up. Your dock boys are referring to the set up on wakeboard towers on Malibus, Correct Crafts, Tiges, etc. Those are mainly freshwater wakeboard boats where that tower stretches from and is anchored to both gunwales. The elevated attachment point of the rope lets them get more air and keeps the rope higher off the water when they flip and twist around. I would imagine it would put an undue amount of stress on your fiberglass hardtop that it was never designed to accept. Extend your harness and use transom eyes. Just my opinion.

jrocket567

Reaction score
The aluminum structure of the hard top is more than strong enough; my worry is where the hard top attaches to the console. The top and attachment points are designed to support the weight of the top, as well as any inertial movements that it has due to the motion of the boat.

Applying a large force, especially at a significant height above the connection points will create a heck of a moment on the connections, in a direction that has a design specification for a much smaller moment (the weight of the top and the velocity of the boat).

I would imagine that a 150lb wakeboarder, at worst case scenario, landing sideways at 25kts, would put a heck of a force on the top.

Would it rip it out? I highly doubt it. I would see that over time some stress cracks could form around the area, especially in the fiberglass.

In my view, listen to the others....the $2000 hard top + fiberglass repair is not worth the $20 it would take to make a new harness.

I will assume that yall are engineers....simple engineering problem-- run the numbers and see what type of stresses show up on the attachment points. I bet if you call Grady with the numbers, they will look at the specs and see if it will support it.

Good luck
jay

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You put a Gulfstream at a plowing speed before she comes on plane, your rider will get serious air time no matter what connection points you decide on.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I used to pull a double tube behind my 232 with the tow rope tied to the HT cross pipe. I used a rag to cushion it and shoved a couple of can coolers over the bottom of the rocket launchers to pad them.

The top never flexed a bit, but I would think that a wake board can have much more stress than a tube.

Tied at the transom the rope would belly into the rooster tail, pull the tube forward and soak the riders. The tube would get stuck. I used a dock line as a bridle. Still did not work.

A wake boarder would hold the rope higher so may not be an issue, but they won't get much air with the rope on a bridle.

My 205 does not have a pylon. Wish it did. Not as much fun pulling tubes or skis without one.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have only towed with the tow rings on the back of the transom. That being said, I have seen photos (maybe on THT?) of a few boats with hardtops towing skiers or wakeboarders with a rope that actually crossed over the top of the hardtop and ultimately tied to the bow mounted cleat. In other words the tow rope starts at the bow cleat, crosses over the roof of the hardtop and angles down to the person fifty feet behind the boat. Not sure if and how it works. Just an idea, don't think I see myself ever trying this method just posting what I observed in photos.

Again, just my observations - not how I would do it.

jrem

Reaction score
Re: wake boarding behind a 232 Gulfstream; connection points

engineersx2 said:
Looking for some advice on pulling a wakeboard behind our 232. We just got our 232 a few weeks ago and found out that our tow harness (the rig that connects to both ends of the stern of the boat, and then to the ski rope) would not reach the connection points. With the extra wide width of the 232 plus the twin motors on the bracket, I purchased a 12 foot tow harness thinking that would work.

Power jokes aside, should I go with a 12ft tow harness or 16ft harness for a Gulfstream with a single F250 on the bracket? Will 12 be be cutting it too close?

bea5454

Reaction score
Re: wake boarding behind a 232 Gulfstream; connection points

jrem:

I believe mine is 14' - single F250 on Gulfstream with bracket. I will confirm tomorrow (Thursday) and re-post.

OP:

Certainly a good suggestion to check w/Grady re the hardtop idea, but absent their affirmative advise, I personally would not consider it. In the interests of full disclosure, I am NOT an engineer.

BJB