Wake boarding

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As usual. my family managed to find a reason to complain about my boat. We unsuccessfully tried Wake boarding today, so I have a few questions. 1. Has anyone done this with a 19 ft tournament ? 2) I can pull a skier and a tube, but the Wakeboard was difficult and another boater recommended a tower, what about a tall pylon ?

I really would rather not install a tower or arch and would try a pylon to get the rope up. We have been using the cleats on the back. Is there anyone with the Pylon that can offer any tips. Also, I have a 140 Suzuki 2 stroke, my top speed so far has been 35 mph and I think ot should go faster. Maybe a prop change. I credit some of the slowness to chipping old bottom paint that was on the baot when I bought it which I intend to remove at the end of this season.

Other than this one issue, everyone enjoys the boat, but there`s always something with this group !!!!

Thanks

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Has the family members ever gotten up on a wakeboard before (on someone elses boat)??? It's completely different then coming up on skis... Until you get it right, it's frustrating and you will pull your arms out of their sockets! But once you do it, it's a piece of cake and much easier then coming up on skis...
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to pull a boarder from the tow cleats. Once they get real good and want to start doing flips, then you will need a tower... I've never wakeboarded behind a Grady, but numerous other style boats... I might have to try behind the Marlin... at least once :mrgreen:
Remember also, you only need to be going about 16mph when boarding... unlike skiing, when you catch an edge, the board stops immediately with a fast face plant and a large SMACK!!!!!!!

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, let me ask, when pulling up do you floor it like pulling up a skier or go slower ? None of us have ever wake boarded. My wife and I have been skiing for a while so I know how to do that. I assumed you have to go hard to pull them up, then back off, but 16 is a lot slower tha I would have thought.

Are there any tips like how to hold your knees and arms etc....

Thanks

JayT

Reaction score
Grady makes a tow pylon that they are installing on the new boats. I have a 1996 Voyager that I plan on installing one on. Depending on the year of your boat you may have to reinforce the transom. Grady has a company in Chocowinity that handles their warranty work and does this type of work. The pylon is around $900.00 and labor $1000.000 to do it right. Grady customer service/tech support can give you the contact info. Good luck.

Reaction score
Back in 2008, I mounted d 45" fixed height pylon on my 1984 Tournament. My goal was to make it easier/more fun for the kids (and myself) to ski, wakeboard and kneeboard. The unit I picked up was from Overton's (about $250). It was an easy DIY install and has been a great addition (much better than the old bridle off the stern/ but note: still use the bridle for tubing). It gets the tow rope up above the motor (I have a suzuki 140 4stroke). For wakeboarding and kneeboarding, I run the tow rope at about 45'-50' off vs. the std 75', which provides a better rider/wake position behind the boat. Also, for start up, you don't need to punch it because the wakeboards displace a lot more water than the waterskis. I explain to beginners to drive the back foot to the bottom of the lake, just prior to starting, this kicks the front of the board up and the riders pop right out of the water. As note previously, the running speed is lower for wakeboarding and kneeboarding. The Grady throws a great wake for big air, so there should be no complaints from your crew. I have pictures, but do not know how to post them...

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Southshoregrady

You can PM me the photos if it`s easier, I would like to see how you mounted the pole.

Did you put it against the motor well on the floor or through it or in it? Where did the two legs attach ?

Thanks for all the info.