• 232 Gulfstream

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • 218 Adventure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma, would like an all round boat. Always wanted a GW. Looking at GW Gulfstream 232, preferably 2018 or newer. My concerns, does it fit the family (water ski, boarding, tubing and near shore fishing role)? Originally from Long Island so I have boating/ fishing experience maneuvering boats in open water. Will use the boat to travel from southern Florida to Boston to see friends when not fishing mainly in Southern NC. Opinions about this meeting my needs?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Why not add in World Peace? Boat's are always a tradeoff.

Reactions: Chutch

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You plan to travel on the boat from Florida to Boston, or do you mean trailer the boat to those locations?
If you plan to travel on the boat, I wouldn't go less than a Gulfstream.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sometimes it's too far a stretch. Where are you navigating? Coastal or offshore?

Reactions: STRMH8TR

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
You plan to travel on the boat from Florida to Boston, or do you mean trailer the boat to those locations?
If you plan to travel on the boat, I wouldn't go less than a Gulfstream.
Will be based in Sunset Beach NC and travel up and down the coast, off and on. Primarily used as a fishing, family boat otherwise. Thanks for your input.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Either can get it done, but bigger fits the travel bill much better. The 232 will have a bigger, taller cabin. The 218 will be better for water activities, but the 232 still works.
I went from a 248/258 to a 270. The height difference in the cabin was a major improvement for our use. We fish, but do more boating, swimming and tubing. Often we change and go to eat somewhere on the water. The taller, bigger cabin makes being below inviting. The 218 won't do that as well as the 232.
The 218 is very nice, but if it were my money, I'd go 232.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Gulfstream is a very capable 23 footer. it can do just about anything a 28-30 footer can just not as comfortable. i had a gulstream with a single engine but i do not recal the fuel capcity. If you are planning on twins you'll need to calculatethe spans between ports you intend to travel to and determine if it fits your needs.

seasick

Reaction score
Do you plan on overnights? Who will you be 'cruising' with?
My mantra has always been that if you build something that is supposed to do everything , it doesn't do any specific task well.
The 232 is a great boat for fishing and day cruising. It's not as versatile as a center console for fishing but it has a cabin that is OK for day trips, short overnights and general storage of gear.
The boat is heavy and has a decent size bean for a 23 foot hull. Some folks may not like the bunk arrangement. It's unique at best.
The head is in the cabin but is open to the cabin. There is no wet head . For water sports, there is a swim platform/full width bracket but there is no transom door.
The boat is not really a good fit for water sports. A DC or bow rider would be better.
The boat is not a cruiser and I think a trip from Florida to Boston may not be a good match for the boat
That depends on what comfort creatures you and your wife would like. If you like to rough it, the 232 may do but if you want more, it will fall short.
Regarding capacities, the gas tank is relatively small at 140 gallons.
Have you been on/in a 232?

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
Sometimes it's too far a stretch. Where are you navigating? Coastal or offshore?
Coastal, with intermittent stops along the way. Not one straight shot. Friends and sightseeing.

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
Do you plan on overnights? Who will you be 'cruising' with?
My mantra has always been that if you build something that is supposed to do everything , it doesn't do any specific task well.
The 232 is a great boat for fishing and day cruising. It's not as versatile as a center console for fishing but it has a cabin that is OK for day trips, short overnights and general storage of gear.
The boat is heavy and has a decent size bean for a 23 foot hull. Some folks may not like the bunk arrangement. It's unique at best.
The head is in the cabin but is open to the cabin. There is no wet head . For water sports, there is a swim platform/full width bracket but there is no transom door.
The boat is not really a good fit for water sports. A DC or bow rider would be better.
The boat is not a cruiser and I think a trip from Florida to Boston may not be a good match for the boat
That depends on what comfort creatures you and your wife would like. If you like to rough it, the 232 may do but if you want more, it will fall short.
Regarding capacities, the gas tank is relatively small at 140 gallons.
Have you been on/in a 232?
Not recently. Know it's heavy. Would prefer a single 400 vs twin 200s. I understand when looking for an everything boat compromises need to be made. What I'd really like to do is rent one for a couple of days to see if my wife would like sleeping on it. Me, I have no problem. If she does then it's on to the 236 or 251 and just cruise and stay nearby on land.

Last edited:

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2 cents....... I am on my 4th year in a 2013 Seafarer, 22 ft. We don't venture too far so its works for us. But here are a couple of things I would evaluate were I buying something else. The 226 is a so called walk around, the cabin is sufficient for storing my fishing gear and somehow the original owner used to overnite in that cabin with his wife. I guess they were 'close'. But the walk-around part is OK if you have size 4 feet. It is tight. I have a fully canvas enclosure which is nice but it makes getting to the bow for anchoring or mooring is a dance. So access to the bow is one issue I would evaluate.. Also another issue, not a really big deal, but others have commented, the room between the seats is tight. Unless you are a stick man, you need to turn sideways to get through. Not a big deal, but something to consider. And with the model I have, the motor has the opportunity to crush the fold up-down door on the transom. I haven't done it yet, but I imagine many have when lifting the motor. I am not familiar with the layout of the model you reference, but check the available space for what instrumentation you might want. Can you fit what you desire? Probably lots of work-arounds but something else to think about. GW's are solidly built so I don't think you can go wrong with any model but personal preferences might plan into your happiness.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're deciding solely between those two models of boats then I'd definitely go bigger and get the 232 Gulfstream. The 218 Adventure looks like a nice boat but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Euro style transom. I like the 232 Gulfstream, as well as the 228 Seafarer, in that it has a transom bracket that encloses the stern of the boat. The 218 Adventure feels a bit too "open" on the sides for me, and the motorwell looks like it takes up a good amount of space that could be used for fishing, storage, extra persons on board and so forth. If you do get a 232 Gulfstream then I think it would be silly to get one without twin motors on it as that's one of the biggest reasons why people get that boat in the first place, so they can have twin motors on them. I think You could honestly also go with a third option for boat models, and that would be the 228 Seafarer. It took me just over a year to find my boat but when I was looking, I saw a lot of 208 Adventure's as well as 232 Gulfstream's pop up for sale and briefly "considered" looking at both of those models. The 232 Gulfstream is a pretty big boat and for fishing relatively protected waters out here in the Puget Sound, it was definitely a much bigger boat than I needed. The other things I didn't like about it were the bunkbed style cabin as well as the step on the deck.

My parents are in their mid 70's now and I didn't want them slipping or tripping while out on the boat, which my 228 Seafarer has an all level floor comparatively. And as mentioned, the bunkbed style of cabin that the 232 Gulfstream has does absolutely nothing for me. So, it wasn't long before I crossed that model off the list, and the 208 Adventure I wasn't really a fan of with the open style of transom as I moor my boat on a mooring buoy all summer, sometimes unattended, and to where I didn't want to have a problem. The 228 Seafarer is just about perfect for what I use the boat for, which is trolling for salmon, crabbing, shrimping and cruising. She'll do close to 45 mph @ WOT, does considerably better on fuel than a larger boat with twin motors will and she didn't break the bank when purchasing her. If you're considering the 218 Adventure, I wouldn't immediately dismiss the 228 Seafarer, especially since they made the model up until about 2021 or so. Sure, there are a few things I wish were somewhat different on the boat, like the cockpit space between the seats is a bit tight if you're a bigger guy. But it's nothing that can't be remedied by simply cutting off the inside armrests on the seats to give you considerably more room. The walkaround portion can be a bit tight if you walk with your feet point towards the inside of the boat, though if you walk with them pointed forward or backwards then you get a bit more space to walk. I'm also thinking that a used 228 Seafarer/232 Gulfstream is going to be less money than a brand new 218 Adventure. Just my thoughts of course, either way good luck with your search and I'd try to step foot on both boats, figure out whether you want a boat with twin motors or just a single, etc.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're questioning whether the 232 fits the family, you can pretty quickly rule out the 218. Seems like the real question is can the 232 do the job or do you need to find something like a 265 or 272/282. These would significantly open up your long distance cruising abilities, and can be had for less than a <5 y/o 232 where you're really going to be taking the pricing on the chin by going that new.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
There is absolutely no question, the 232. If you look through the posts, there is a guy here who has had (some with his dad) something like 14 different gradies. He said the 232 was the best of the them.

No offense to 218 owners but I think that was a compromise boat to replace both the 208 and the 228. It looks nice but I would not trade my 228 for a 218. I would definitely trade my 228 for a 232 if I could trailer it home (sadly I can't).

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
Either can get it done, but bigger fits the travel bill much better. The 232 will have a bigger, taller cabin. The 218 will be better for water activities, but the 232 still works.
I went from a 248/258 to a 270. The height difference in the cabin was a major improvement for our use. We fish, but do more boating, swimming and tubing. Often we change and go to eat somewhere on the water. The taller, bigger cabin makes being below inviting. The 218 won't do that as well as the 232.
The 218 is very nice, but if it were my money, I'd go 232.
This is my starting point. Can go bigger if necessary. Thanks

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
If you're deciding solely between those two models of boats then I'd definitely go bigger and get the 232 Gulfstream. The 218 Adventure looks like a nice boat but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the Euro style transom. I like the 232 Gulfstream, as well as the 228 Seafarer, in that it has a transom bracket that encloses the stern of the boat. The 218 Adventure feels a bit too "open" on the sides for me, and the motorwell looks like it takes up a good amount of space that could be used for fishing, storage, extra persons on board and so forth. If you do get a 232 Gulfstream then I think it would be silly to get one without twin motors on it as that's one of the biggest reasons why people get that boat in the first place, so they can have twin motors on them. I think You could honestly also go with a third option for boat models, and that would be the 228 Seafarer. It took me just over a year to find my boat but when I was looking, I saw a lot of 208 Adventure's as well as 232 Gulfstream's pop up for sale and briefly "considered" looking at both of those models. The 232 Gulfstream is a pretty big boat and for fishing relatively protected waters out here in the Puget Sound, it was definitely a much bigger boat than I needed. The other things I didn't like about it were the bunkbed style cabin as well as the step on the deck.

My parents are in their mid 70's now and I didn't want them slipping or tripping while out on the boat, which my 228 Seafarer has an all level floor comparatively. And as mentioned, the bunkbed style of cabin that the 232 Gulfstream has does absolutely nothing for me. So, it wasn't long before I crossed that model off the list, and the 208 Adventure I wasn't really a fan of with the open style of transom as I moor my boat on a mooring buoy all summer, sometimes unattended, and to where I didn't want to have a problem. The 228 Seafarer is just about perfect for what I use the boat for, which is trolling for salmon, crabbing, shrimping and cruising. She'll do close to 45 mph @ WOT, does considerably better on fuel than a larger boat with twin motors will and she didn't break the bank when purchasing her. If you're considering the 218 Adventure, I wouldn't immediately dismiss the 228 Seafarer, especially since they made the model up until about 2021 or so. Sure, there are a few things I wish were somewhat different on the boat, like the cockpit space between the seats is a bit tight if you're a bigger guy. But it's nothing that can't be remedied by simply cutting off the inside armrests on the seats to give you considerably more room. The walkaround portion can be a bit tight if you walk with your feet point towards the inside of the boat, though if you walk with them pointed forward or backwards then you get a bit more space to walk. I'm also thinking that a used 228 Seafarer/232 Gulfstream is going to be less money than a brand new 218 Adventure. Just my thoughts of course, either way good luck with your search and I'd try to step foot on both boats, figure out whether you want a boat with twin motors or just a single, etc.
Thanks for your response. It gives me something to think about.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

STRMH8TR

Reaction score
There is absolutely no question, the 232. If you look through the posts, there is a guy here who has had (some with his dad) something like 14 different gradies. He said the 232 was the best of the them.

No offense to 218 owners but I think that was a compromise boat to replace both the 208 and the 228. It looks nice but I would not trade my 228 for a 218. I would definitely trade my 228 for a 232 if I could trailer it home (sadly I can't).
Not trailering. Will pay extra for dry dock, but have trailer available if necessary. Quite a few compliments on the 228. May need to take a look. Thanks

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 228 has a huge cockpit for a 22 footer. However the beam is only 8' and there is no step up to the helm. That means the cabin is narrow with a low ceiling.
The 218 beam is 8'6" and the 232 is 9'3" with a step up to the helm, so the 232 has a higher ceiling.
You mentioned a 400 hp single for a 232. It doesn't exist unless you repower with a new Merc. You can find one on the shelf next to the hens teeth. Oh, and bring a wheel barrow full of cash!;)

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’d think I would be buying an older Marlin vs the newer 232 for what you want to do, the 232 isn’t a great boat for towsports so you won’t be giving up much and seems like you would gain a lot in all the other areas. I have a 208 but was on a Marlin last week offshore.

The 218 is a bit bigger all around than the 208, seems great and a member has posted his boat recently if you look for the thread. But I’d not want to be making long coastal runs regularly, it’s not that much bigger. Better to get a 228 and unless you buy new, don’t think any used 218 around. Maybe that was your intent in comparing a used 2018 Gulfstream to a new 218.

The 218 will be camping, the 232 sort of camping and a Marlin has “full service” with enclosed head, galley, storage. I need a Marlin to go with the 208! Wouldn’t kick a 232 out of bed though, cool boat.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A couple of thoughts here, take them for what ever they are worth. We routinely overnight and weekend on our boat either my wife and I or fishing trips with the guys. If you plan on cruising up and down the coast and/or doing longer extended trips you will want a bigger boat. In my experience most ladies will want an enclosed standup head with a real toilet. Plus most will also not want to sleep on top of a portipotti or a toilet in a cave. That alone puts you to at least a 25-26 ft boat. The next thing is storage. One of my biggest gripes with gradys are that they lack enough storage compared to other similar sized boats. When you stay on the boat for the weekend where are you going to put bags, clothes, food, bathroom supplies etc.? Are you going to eat out or do you plan to cook on the boat? If you plan to cook on the boat where are you going to cook and keep food, plates, silverware, cups etc. all of this stuff adds up quick. This is also in addition to normal boating gear, fishing gear, inflatables etc. Fortunately on my boat(305)we have an aft cabin so we can throw a lot of stuff in there, but once you get 2-3 people together stuff adds up quick. Also if you plan on overnighting on the hook, you can usually open the hatches and get a breeze. If your at a marina in the summer, that small cabin is going to get hot quick and A/C is very nice. My wife would not overnight on our previous 265, for a lot of the above reasons, but she will happily stay on our 305.

If you are planning on traveling with the boat but staying at hotels, this probably isn't going to matter. If your a minimalist and/or young these things may not be an issue for you either. These are considerations that I have learned/experienced through the years. Hell , when I was in my 20's I used to sleep on the deck of a cc in a sleeping bag. However as I have gotten older things have changed a little.