Wanted: Marine Surveyor in Ocean County New Jersey

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hello,
Looking for an accredited surveyor to perform a pre-purchase inspection in Ocean County, New Jersey. I’ll be purchasing remotely and will not be available for a sea trial/inspection myself. Any suggestions are welcome; looking to get it done in the next couple of weeks.
Thanks!

BobGreen

Reaction score
Try Charles Ulrick at 215-416-9349. I believe his website is Yachtexam.com

I used him last year when I bought my Tigercat from a private seller in Cape May. Iive in Jacksonville, Fl so I had to find a local surveyer and he did a very nice job. Very thorough
and detailed report including compression tests on engines. Highly recommend

Reactions: Holokai

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
https://www.michaelsmarineinspections.com/

Michael is excellent. Located locally and I would highly recommend. Just used him for a purchase a few weeks ago.

I am also located in Point Pleasant and would be happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to direct message me.

Thank you for the reply and recommendation. I left a message with Michael and hope to hear back from him tomorrow.

Try Charles Ulrick at 215-416-9349. I believe his website is Yachtexam.com

I used him last year when I bought my Tigercat from a private seller in Cape May. Iive in Jacksonville, Fl so I had to find a local surveyer and he did a very nice job. Very thorough
and detailed report including compression tests on engines. Highly recommend

I checked out his website and took a look at the sample survey; very thorough and looks to be well done. I was able to contact him as well and his pricing was very fair.

All,
Any general things I should be asking about? 1999 model 226. Very recent repower so I’m not too worried about the engine (warranty still good).
Mahalo,
Jason

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Fuel tank condition? Bang plate condition? Transom condition?

That sounds like a couple good places to start. Is it common for the surveyor to open the deck plate up or is going through the inspection hatches enough?

Any known issues with bow or stern eyes failing? I know this was a chronic problem with my previous boat.

Thank you!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So the boat got surveyed and I learned how basic editing apps on smartphones and good picture taking angles can make a mediocre boat look significantly better...

The boat ended up having quite a laundry list of small flaws that the seller had a list of (verbally read it through once) and would not disclose/discuss after; instead telling me that the surveyor would note anything wrong. None of the flaws were individual dealbreakers but they would have added up to a couple thousand dollars in parts to rectify.

Additionally, there were soft spots on the deck that the surveyor found that were recommended to be repaired by a fiberglass shop. These were not disclosed and could definitely lead to issues in the future.

Additionally, the boat was supposedly garage kept but the surveyor and I felt otherwise given the sun damage/wear and the extensive mold/dirt in the cuddy.

All said it was a somewhat expensive (survey cost) learning experience but better than dropping thousands on a new engine and mediocre hull.

I will not immediately disclose the name of the seller as others may have had better experiences and I don’t believe in putting them on blast right away but let me know if you want more information.

I’m just disappointed in the lack of transparency/disclosure and would hope that my experience is not the norm.

If anyone needs a surveyor in the New Jersey area I can recommend Charles Ulrick without reservation. He was very professional, prompt, and most of all, honest in his assessment of the vessel.

seasick

Reaction score
Money well spent.
Legally, sellers do not have to disclose issues but it you ask, they can not (well legally can not) lie.

Reactions: Holokai

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Money well spent.
Legally, sellers do not have to disclose issues but it you ask, they can not (well legally can not) lie.

Not to beat a dead horse but a newer forum member just looked at the same boat and was given the same runaround/attitude by the seller. He specifically mentioned the issues noted in the survey performed on my behalf and the seller claimed ignorance. Thankfully he decided not to pursue any further and didn’t waste $500 on another survey.

The first member to look at the boat also received similar treatment so I have no problem posting more information now that there are three of us with similar experiences.

Not sure if that’s just the way that specific place (Sheltered Cove Marina) is but I had a way better experience purchasing a boat from Boat America in St. Petersburg, Florida. The people were not pushy and didn’t make it seem like they were doing me a favor.

Last edited:

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That place (Shelter Cove) was very non commital and didn’t have any interest in providing me any information about the boats past history that I was looking at (246). That’s why Comstock is now Grady White premier dealer in Ocean County NJ

They actually made me feel as though they were doing me a favor.

Woofman

Reaction score
I bought a boat out of Comstock, great dealer, not pushy very honest about the boats condition. I was not local either and used Charles, great experience all around.