wanted: storage ideas around 282 cockpit

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I'm looking for some better ideas for tackle/gear storage around the cockpit of my 282. I have life jackets just under the hardtop and then there are the drawers/compartment under the helm seats. But that's it. I'm hoping for ideas for the room between the seat bottom and top of the drawers/compartment and under the gunwales where the rod holders are (I only have cleaning brushes under there now). Maybe even some mesh bags strapped to the port or starboard hard top supports. Any ideas?

Gary M

Reaction score
If you do not have a genset, try this. On my old Sailfish, someone had built an empty box with no lid then dropped it into the bilge area, under the bench seat. Two stainless screws went into the bottom of the box and into each of the two stringers that the box sat on to hold it in place. This is in front of the Batt Switches but the sides of the box were low enough to still operate the switches. The box was used for all types of storage and it could easily be removed if a bilge pump needed changing, etc. A heavy-duty plastic storage bin from Target or Lowe's might also fit down into the opening and you have the option to use or not use the lid.

Also, if you do not use the livewell, that's excellent storage as well.

Under the mid-berth floor panels is great storage for things that you want to have aboard, but hope you never use, like spare props. Here are my spares, greased up and on either side of the head holding tank under the aft mid-berth floor panel of my Marlin..... Note: the trough that runs from the Fwd bilge area to the Aft bilge area runs under the head holding tank, so these props are not sitting in the bilge.

Boat062.jpg

Telly_03

Reaction score
Why don't you go for buying storage space from vendors of self storage. I love automobiles whether its an RV or a plane. I had bought RV storage in Vancouver, WA from Irongate Storage company at monthly charges. I think it is better and easier way to solve space shortage.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Telly_03 said:
Why don't you go for buying storage space from vendors of self storage. I love automobiles whether its an RV or a plane. I had bought RV storage in Vancouver, WA from Irongate Storage company at monthly charges. I think it is better and easier way to solve space shortage.

I believe the OP is talking about storage ON his boat not FOR his boat......