Warning Buzzer 1987 Evinrude 150hp on 204C Overnighter

controlsct

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi all, I'm stumped here and hoping someone can help. I wanted to test the warning buzzer on my new to me 1987 Evinrude 150HP. I first checked with a meter the purple wire on the buzzer to ground with the key on and got 12VDC. ( buzzer has two purple wires under same terminal and one tan under the other terminal) I then checked from purple to tan on buzzer and had 12VDC also with the key on. ( buzzer not alarming) This would tell me that something is in alarm and that buzzer is bad. Motor is cold and hasn't been started. I disconnected each of the two temp sensor and still had 12VDC across the buzzer. I then disconnected the tan wire at the VRO pump and still had 12VDC across the buzzer. At this point the sky opened up and the rain fell so wrapped it up until hopefully tonight. Question, the oil tank is full and I think it also has a level sensor in it. That was my next place to disconnect. Where does that wire go from top of oil tank? Under the motor cowl to the harness somewhere? I also didn't disconnect the wiring at the buzzer yet and check without being hooked up. Can the buzzer itself short out somehow to ground? Thanks for all the knowledge here!