Warranty question

Whazzup

Reaction score
Would exceeding the 100 hour service interval void the motor's warranty? The boat just hit 100 hours and would like to get one or two more trips before winterizing it, maybe 8-10 more hours total. It seems silly to haul the boat and do the service and then have to do it again in three-four weeks. If this would impact the warranty, I would just call it a season. Thanks in advance.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would contact your dealer and get his take on it. If it's a new motor, I wouldn't take a chance unless discussed with your servicing dealer. My .02

seasick

Reaction score
I never though of that question and am interested in your dealers answer assuming you ask. At first I thought that the dealer could make an issue but then I thought, what happens if you hit the 100 hour mark while at sea? Are you supposed to shut down and call Sea Tow?? I would call Grady, not the dealer and ask. I don't think the extra hours would be an issue and I wouldn't raise it at all with the dealer.

Reactions: Jargon

Whazzup

Reaction score
I never though of that question and am interested in your dealers answer assuming you ask. At first I thought that the dealer could make an issue but then I thought, what happens if you hit the 100 hour mark while at sea? Are you supposed to shut down and call Sea Tow?? I would call Grady, not the dealer and ask. I don't think the extra hours would be an issue and I wouldn't raise it at all with the dealer.

Funny you should say that because that’s where it happened.

seasick

Reaction score
One other sort of in the middle option is to talk to the dealer and say something like, : "My 100 hours service just came due but I wanted to use the boat before the boat for a trip before the season is over. Is it OK to hold off the service till after that trip?"
Make sure you know who you are talking to and if possible go in person with a friend to be a witness. Try to talk to the service manager.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Its an easy way to deny a warranty claim. I'd check with the dealer but probably would do it.

Whazzup

Reaction score
I emailed the dealer.

Honestly, I made the mistake of idling in the ocean while drifting (instead of turning off the motor), about 10-20% of my time on the water is in a no wake zone and I have to believe it is not as stressful on the motor as what it is designed for. The 100 hours is for "average use" according to Yamaha's website. So I think the motor has been underused, but I'm no expert.

That said, if you are planning a weekend with a couple trips and you realize on Friday that you have 95 hours on the motor, what do you do if you can't get in for service? I have to believe there is a grace period, but I'll hear back from the dealer. Yamaha does not have email to ask the question.

Jargon

Reaction score
With motorcycles anyway, service intervals are done ‘in the neighborhood of’ the mileage mark for the reasons you’ve stated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
True. The only issue is if they want to deny a claim. They will have the readout and know you exceeded it. If they want to be a chiseler, they can and will be able to do so.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Unless I'm missing something, the software (YDIS) only knows when the maintenance counter was reset, not when the maintenance was actually accomplished. At least that is what I see in the history of my 2011. So if there is a failure between the time the 100 hour comes due and when it is reset and the maintenance is completed, Yamaha may have an issue. I don't believe the history shows when it has been done late. Regardless, oil changes are easy and an engine with only a few hours since maintenance should be fine for winter in my opinion. I'd do grease fittings and corrosion control after the last use and not worry about 10-20 hours on the oils for use just prior to winterization..

Fishtales

Reaction score
"in my opinion" is the question. if a claim is to be filed it will be "in their opinion". Again, probably a low probability event, but if they want they can make it difficult.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wow.o_O
This thread confirms my desire to NOT buy a Yamaha. If this many people are worried that their dealer will screw them on a warranty because they went a few hours over 100 (on an oil & filter change and an impeller ) then I don't want anything to do with them.
Of course, I'd be doing it myself so I would just reset the alarm and then do it over the winter like I did with my Suzuki for 14 years.

We have a 6 month season, tops. Its an ANNUAL service. I won't be having my boat hauled to do a water pump in October when the season ends in November.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
the world is run by lawyers unfortunately. likely wouldn't happen but as Clint would say "you feeling lucky, punk..."

seasick

Reaction score
I think this issue is getting blown out of proportion.
I have seen dealers deny warranty services just to get you to pay. In those cases, a call to the manufacturer resulted in the dealer doing the work at no charge to the customer. These are the shady dealers (and are authorized)
Point is that the reputation of the dealer means a whole lot as does the reputation of the manufacturer. A 100 hour service is a 100 hour service at 99, 101, 110 hours) .

I have also seen cases where a dealer charges the customer for work and then submits a warranty claim to the manufacturer. Yup, it happens. So if unsure about warranty work, call the manufacturer.

Whazzup

Reaction score
I guess I touched a small nerve. Dealer said don’t worry. In an email. Thanks for the replies. I get another shot at the elusive striper ;-)

Fishtales

Reaction score
just having some fun boys, but it is Yamaha....