Wash down pump fuse?

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I am a new 2007 305 Express owner. My wash down pump started and then stopped. I wanted to check the fuse but I do not know where to find it. I have carefully reviewed the manual, but have not been able to decipher. Is this pump on a circuit breaker with the reset above the rocker switch? I have not found a good explanation of these rubber dimples above the rocker switches. The manual is silent on these things. I would appreciate any info to aid me in my ignorance!Thanks!

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks. Turns out it was probably bad brushes in motor since itt started to work after rapping it with a wrench. I will just replace pump.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rubber dimples are simply a waterproof cover to keep the little pop-up breakers safe. As long as the rubber covers feel floppy, the breaker isn't tripped. Otherwise, just push the breaker back down/in.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There is also a pressure switch associated with the pump that can be sticky so I wouldn’t write the pump off until I’ve checked the pressure switch. It is designed to turn off the water flow and the pump at a certain pressure and turn it back on when the pressure drops.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If its a Shurflow diaphragm pump its likely the microswitch inside the pump. $9.00 to save a $200 pump and a spare switch. Not a bad deal!

IMG_1340.jpeg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
If you have the pump out and open the pressure switch assembly, you can jump the micro switch wires to see if the pump runs OK when powered. If it doesn't, the switch isn't the problem.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You're welcome! We all started our "boat knowledge" at zero. Some of us just started at a younger age ;)
I have had 3 Grady's in 36 years and never could figure out those rubber dimples. Funny in 36 years I have never had to reset one of those breakers either. Live and learn!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Kinda crappy design selection for those breakers. Never have had one trip yet.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
It would be nice if the manual gave better explanations. My new pump comes tommorrow. $120 Amazon. Next up is figuring out water level guage!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you have the pump out and open the pressure switch assembly, you can jump the micro switch wires to see if the pump runs OK when powered. If it doesn't, the switch isn't the problem.
If you went thru the trouble to get the pump out and disassemble the pressure switch just change the switch! I've done this a dozen times over the years. The pumps are always in crap locations and look terrible. Difficult to remove and re-install. Banging on the pump gives you impression its the brushes. Problem is usually intermittent so bench testing is chancy. But for me it has always been the switch. Just change it!

Last edited:

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you went thru the trouble to get the pump out and disassemble the pressure switch just change the switch! I've done this a dozen times over the years. The pumps are always in crap locations and look terrible. Difficult to remove and re-install. Banging on the pump gives you impression its the brushes. Problem is usually intermittent so bench testing is chancy. But for me it has always been the switch. Just change it!
Good info. I ordered new pump coming tomorrow. Will check out old one to see if reparable as spare. Sometimes you just want a quick fix. As a new big boat ( big for me) owner , I am delighted to have a repair where I am not paying $120 an hour for labor!

Reactions: Hookup1