washdown/live baitwell pump

beagleboy

Reaction score
I have a Shurflo Problaster pump that functions in both capacities through a Y valve at the stern. When I switch it over to washdown the fuse blows on the switch panel. If I operate in the baitwell mode it does fine. Today the pump wouldnt work in either capacity

When I flip up the toggle switch at the swith panel, the indicator light comes on but I do not hear the motor to the pump running. I checked the fuse and it is ok. Any suggestions on how to check if the pump is burnt out or not

beagleboy

Reaction score
Correction. The pump is a Shurflo Pro Baitmaster. I wired the pump directly to battery.Pump did not turn on or hum . I guess it is needing replacement. What is best pump to use in a dual operation?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
pump

If you touched it to your battery and nothing happened, it's torched. I used mine on a Wed. and on Thurs.-dead. I would recommend the same pump -great for the applications you're using it for.. Check the date on it-they are warranteed.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have to agree, I'd stay with the same pump, unless you buy a commercial pump which will be heavier and larger, they are hard to beat, especially if you use your livewell a bit. Livewell pumps do burn out a bit, it is just how they are used, especially if ran a lot.

beagleboy

Reaction score
thanks for input. Those things are expensive!!

catch22

Reaction score
You could contact Shurflow and try and get the pressure switch. That's probably all it is. I replaced one on a pump many years ago, can't recall the exact brand, might have been shurflow. Probably $20 for the switch.... beats $120 to replace the whole thing.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
.. beats $120 to replace the whole thing.

If you know where to get a Pro Baitmaster for $120, I'll take a half dozen ... :D

I've found the key to pump longevity is to mount it in a dry location, motor up, flush it out after every use, spray it down with Corrosion X every month or so, and make sure it's drained during the winter. For grins and giggles, I'll also rebuild the pump head after my extended warranty expires ... :wink:

catch22

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
.. beats $120 to replace the whole thing.

If you know where to get a Pro Baitmaster for $120, I'll take a half dozen ... :D

I've found the key to pump longevity is to mount it in a dry location, motor up, flush it out after every use, spray it down with Corrosion X every month or so, and make sure it's drained during the winter. For grins and giggles, I'll also rebuild the pump head after my extended warranty expires ... :wink:

Ok...here you go;
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Shurflo+ ... +Pump.html
It's actually $117.... sorry :D

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ok...here you go;

Uh, that's a Pro Blaster. The pump in question is a Pro Baitmaster, more pump and more expensive ... :wink:

catch22

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Ok...here you go;

Uh, that's a Pro Blaster. The pump in question is a Pro Baitmaster, more pump and more expensive ... :wink:

Whatever. My point was, I've seen the pressure switch go on more than one pump. You can remove the switch and check it with a meter. If that is the problem, you'll end up saving a good deal of money.

Sorry for posting random figures that I quickly guessed at. I guess the next time I'll have to research it and provide exact prices. :wink: